Author Topic: Bull Ring Photos  (Read 175511 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Bull Ring Photos
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2011, 12:00:16 PM »
Don

All I can say is good luck to you, why be lonely when there is no need to be and it looks like you came up with an excellent solution.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2011, 07:30:52 PM »
I don't remember seeing this excellent photo of the old market hall on here before. It shows it complete and intact with its roof still in place. Something I never saw in reality.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2011, 07:40:19 PM »
Not really the Bull Ring, in fact the rear end of my last photo, Still deserving of a place here though.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

dontheturner

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2011, 08:36:03 AM »
Phil,  Thank you again.  Haven't got a shot, of the ''Hobbies'' shop, opposite Woolworths, (I think), or the Bible Punchers, on their pop crates, on a sunday morning, I suppose? -  regarding your comments re my final years -  They do say, a man is only as old, as the woman, he feels! again, Thank You   Don
With Wife No 3 (from Thailand), and now back in Wellington Shropshire.

frederick

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2011, 04:24:15 PM »
It still amazes me how wide the roads are and some of the photos were taken before cars were invented.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

trapio

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »
Hi don,

Good for you mate - you got up, went for it, tried hard and are big enough to say, ''Sawatdee'' (which'll be useful if you go back once again!) - I hope that your return goes smoothly.  As I've been here 14 years, and spent most adult life abroad, I will probably never go back to live in UK, so have some idea of how much of a wrench leaving your last planned place will be.  O0

trapio
Integrity is non negotiable

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2011, 05:55:55 PM »
Fred

Most of the wide roads were in the posh districts and were just a statement of opulence. Yet in the areas where we lived you could hardly get two cars past each other. Just look at Ladypool Rd, you would not have seen the fun and games down there on a Saturday when someone parks a car on the wrong side of the road and goes off shopping, the whole road gets blocked.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

dontheturner

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2011, 08:57:02 AM »
Hi don,Good for you mate - you got up, went for it, tried hard and are big enough to say, ''Sawatdee'' (which'll be useful if you go back once again!) - I hope that your rof a wrench leaving your last planned place will be.  O0
trapio

Trapio, Just thinkin' --In all fairness, I now have to admit - since all the family plan on being at BKK to see us go, maybe it will be also hard, going back - I do love 'em  Don
With Wife No 3 (from Thailand), and now back in Wellington Shropshire.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2011, 08:19:24 PM »
The old Woolworth Building in the late 50's which must have been took shortly before they started to demolish it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2011, 08:45:59 PM »
Here are some more Bull Ring Pubs

Phil, in the second photo down, it's amazing how big the Mitchell's & Butler's sign is. Like 3 storeys high. Those guys sure did make a lot of money off the drinking folks of Brum. (Still do, I suppose.)

Here's a question for you guys (and don't jump down my throat anyone please): Looking at the photos of hard times back in the day in Brum, how much misery for wives and kids was caused by a good part of husband's wages being spent in the numerous pubs around Brum? While the men were inside chugging down beer, I wonder how many unhappy tears were shed at home over a cold fire?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2011, 12:35:52 PM »
Yes Anne,

Many times on years gone past (and now) the last few coppers in a mother purse have gone over the bar in some public house, but mothers learnt to keep a few penny on one side and not in their purse so it wasn't always a disaster unless it was the mother handing those last few coppers over the bar.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy