Author Topic: St. Jude RC Church, 1861  (Read 8653 times)

shirleyh

St. Jude RC Church, 1861
« on: November 15, 2010, 03:04:14 PM »
 :) :) :)   Hi, Everyone!

I always come to Birmingham when I have a question, because someone usually has an answer!   This question has to do sith St. Jude because my Gt. grandad was married there.  I can't find it on the Web, but, hopefully someone will know of it, and maybe someone will have a photo!

Please?  shirleyh - used to sign sh

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: St. Jude RC Church, 1861
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 04:17:03 PM »
Hi Shirley

The only St Judes in Birmingham I know of was on Hill St in the city centre, I can't tell you much about it except that they built all around it in the 60's and it stuck it out for years sandwiched on each side by high rise buildings.

I think it may be gone now, but I'm not a 100% sure, but you could check it out on Google earth though.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

berniew

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 06:09:03 PM »
http://www.bham.de/index_churches.html      Hi Shirley this site is an index of churches in Birmingham I don't know how comprehensive it is but the only St Judes church listed is the one Phil has mentioned       Bernie

vauxonion

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 08:00:10 PM »
Sadly St Judes is no more on the site is car park the first photo is around 1961 the building in the background is the Albany Hotel. Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 08:09:41 PM »
Dek

I haven't been up there for a while and I wondered if it had gone or not. It's a shame really because it stood it out there well for a great number of years surrounded as it was by new buildings.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

shirleyh

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 09:28:50 PM »
 :) :) :)   Thanks a bunch to everyone for their input, and for the photos and listing.  This is what is known as, "I hope someone keeps and lists the former churches of England." 

Imagine the word, "progress".  Seems there could be a place dedicated on the Net for pictures of the past - in various categories.  I knew I could find data in this forum.

Otherwise, no one would know what has gone on before all was torn down for parking lots.  It's the same in the USA, but we're much younger; still, you know good photographers are worth their weight in Gold.

An "old-timer"  sdh

pickard.r

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 12:18:54 PM »
Just found this on the net...The Rev; Croft 1967

Bobby

You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

shirleyh

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 03:18:52 PM »
 :) :) :)  Hi, Bobby -

Unfortunately, the photo doesn't show.  sh

shirleyh

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »
 :) :) :)  Hi, Phil -

I checked Google in Birmingham for a St. Jude church, but if they have one I wouldn't know it from the inside, or from the front. for that matter.  I'm more than grateful for what I did get from this site.

Let me further state that I realize the inside of the church would have to include toilets, for example, but that could be done.  Too much of the Past is just wisked away without much thought - or should I say, "History".  It was for many a sacred place - and replaced for progress.  What a shame.  I say this of course not knowing exactly why it was torn down.  Oh, well.  sdh

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 05:56:23 PM »
Shirley

I think you will find the the church on Hill St was probably the only St Jude's in Birmingham, Well at least its the only one I ever heard of.

I don't know where you were going with the toilet thing but its been a long time since I was in a church and I don't remember any of them back then having toilets inside. It may be required these days but it certainly wasn't back then.

You are right about one thing though, a lot of our history has been lost with this mania for redevelopment. At one time they would try to work the old in with the new, but now they just don't seem to care.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

shirleyh

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 08:28:43 PM »
 :) :) :)  Hi, Phil -

I guess it's the American in me when I talk about having toilets in churches; at least we always have had - and, with doors!  But I know there were only outhouses back then; guess there were't any.  Can't imagine any place without restrooms.

The past is so precious in so many ways - at least to me.  The church that was built when I was a child in Cincinnati was built onto - one can tell easily the old fron the newer - but I didn't realize how small it actually was until I saw it again in 2001.  How we all change!

England is much older, I know, but a little thought will go a long way - IF one wants to remember and keep the buildings in livable condition.  Some have done that; others just "don't seem to care."

It's a darn shame.  sdh

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy