Author Topic: St. Jude RC Church, 1861  (Read 8654 times)

mikejee

Re: St. Jude RC Church, 1861
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 12:29:21 AM »
Phil
I'm a bit mystified by the photo with hte priest in front of it, as it doesn't have thebulbous bit sticking out towards Hill st. Below is a picture from the Ev mail in 1970, which shows it still had that bit the. I can't see that it could be the other end of the church, as , from maps, it didn't look as if there was more than a narrow passageway down that end
mike

teegee

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 11:00:07 AM »
To me, the picture in post 14 looks as if the reverend has been transposed on top of another picture. It doesnt seem to be right, I'm no expert though, so perhaps someone else can give an opinion.

T.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 11:14:46 AM »
Mike

It is probably the other end of the church as the apse (the rounded bit) is usually at the other end of the church to the main entrance and where the altar is normally situated. You can see from the other photos that the doorway is not the main door to the church.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 11:23:40 AM »
I think Phils right the building at the back i believe is still there in Station next to B.T. Central offices St. Dek

mikejee

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 05:32:21 PM »
You are probably right Phil. It was just that the maps seemed to show only a narrow passage at the other end (I don't think i ever went round there). Mind you, wide angle lenses can give a distorted wrong view of a place, and make an alleyway look like a highway.
Mike

shirleyh

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 09:16:57 PM »
 :) :) :)  Thanks, Guys!

Now I've seen the entire church - kinda; too bad it's still not there, but at  least it has a memory for many.  Let's hope they're Good memories!  sdh

OuterCicleBus

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2021, 12:31:15 PM »
Hi - I'm resurrecting this thread some 11 years after the last post as I am researching the history of Hurst Street which came within St Jude's Parish. The two photographs with the vicar in front are correct. The "bulbous" end of the building was where the altar was and, unusually, it was at the west end of the church facing Hill Street. The other picture (with the "flat" end to the church) was the east end. St Jude's Passage ran along the south side of the building, and there was, up until the 1950s, a warehouse at the east end of the church.
By the mid 1960s the warehouse had gone and St Jude's Passage had been extended around the end of the church to Station Street. This is where the photograph with the Vicar after the last service in 1967 was taken.
St Jude's Church was demolished in 1971 and a conference centre attached to the Albany (or Holiday Inn as it is now) was built on the site. It's still there, called "The Birmingham Conference & Events Centre".
Out of interest the buildings up the corner of Station Street have now been demolished and a hotel is to be built on the site.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy