Author Topic: Balsall Heath - Photo's of Benacre Street and/or Hope Street  (Read 87438 times)

janey

Re: Balsall Heath - Photo's of Benacre Street and/or Hope Street
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 10:55:18 PM »
Hi by the dates it sounds like we were in the same year, some of the boys names i remember, senior school, John Rashman, ? Addis, Robert Olliss,  i am sure more will come to me,janey

davidpeden

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 09:08:53 AM »
Hi Janey,
I was in the Seniors 1962 - 1965 and sixth year after that.
Names that I recall are:
(Boys) John Rashman, Billy France, Robert Day, Robert(?) Sabin, Michael Ladlow, Sofick Meah, Michael and Stephen McGuinness (Twins), Timothy Feeley, Winston Hippolyte, William McAreavy.
(Girls) Shagufta Aziz, Pauline Robinson (year above me), Patricia Ladlow (year below me).

Others may come to me as time goes on - As you can tell from the above I didn't know many of the girls - I was far too shy - and far too interested in bunking off school and playing down the River Rea with my best mate William McAreavy.
Those were the days.  :)
Dave Peden
Balsall Heathen

janey

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »
Hiya Shagufta was in my class, as was the McGuiness twins Timothy Feeley, Barbara
 Robinson, Paulines sister, Charlie Foot Donald Green, Sandra Firkins, did we start seniors when we were 11yrs, if so i was there 62/65 age 14yrs i left and went to another school for my last year, my first class teacher was Mr Wilson 1/1 oh and i sat by Susan Eade,

davidpeden

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 03:04:27 PM »
Hi Janey,
Yes, we started Seniors when we were 11 and my first teacher was Mr Wilson.
So what do you know... seems we may have been in the same class. Not knowing what your last name would have been back then I can't be sure, but all those names you've mentioned were in my class too.

Barbara Robinson's sister Pauline was my sister Diane's best friend back then and they are still friends and keep in touch.

Small world, as they say.

Con't worry if you can't place me I doubt many could - when I started Seniors I was a timid little thing and pretty well instantly forgettable - and I didn't really change much until my fifth year...
Dave Peden
Balsall Heathen

janey

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 03:52:59 PM »
Sounds like you were like me, i felt like a little fish in a big pond, and a few people i have spoke to on FR and places didn't remember me,

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 04:00:05 PM »
hi dave well what can i say you have found more than you was looking for thanks to the members on this forum so well done all  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

janey

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 12:01:49 PM »
Hi Janey,
Yes, we started Seniors when we were 11 and my first teacher was Mr Wilson.
So what do you know... seems we may have been in the same class. Not knowing what your last name would have been back then I can't be sure, but all those names you've mentioned were in my class too.

Barbara Robinson's sister Pauline was my sister Diane's best friend back then and they are still friends and keep in touch.

Small world, as they say.

Con't worry if you can't place me I doubt many could - when I started Seniors I was a timid little thing and pretty well instantly forgettable - and I didn't really change much until my fifth year...
So who were your favourite teachers then David, do you remember the xmas party's
we had one at the hall at the bottom of Hope St once, do you remember, they held a twist competition and you had to enter :-[

davidpeden

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 11:05:07 AM »
Hi Janey,

My favourite teacher's? Miss Houghton (RE and Music) and Stanley Burgess (Art).
There were others I liked a lot; Mr Green, Mr Benson and Mr Carter to name a few, but whilst they and others fade a bit in my memory Miss Houghton and Stan do not. They were the two people whose constant encouragement had most influence on my life and the direction it went in eventually.

I don't remember the Christmas parties as I don't think I ever got to go to one, for whatever reason.

my clearest memory is of swimming in Kent Street Baths (one of the few things I could do well) and The Pebble Mill Playing Fields, where William and I always did the cross country run so we could bunk of into the woods at the nack and go looking for frogs and newts. Don't remember ever getting caught either.
 ;D

Amongst other things I recall is buying fags, one at a time, from Job's little shop near the back entrance to the school and then sneaking of somewhere quiet to smoke them.
I guess Mr Job made a great deal of money from getting us kids hooked on the evil weed. I'm glad to say I finally kicked the habit about 30 years ago.

Happy days!

Dave Peden
Balsall Heathen

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 11:21:15 AM »
hi Dave  do you remember the little shop by the school in hopestreet this would be about 1955 i think   well us kids found away in the shop it had been boarded for a long time and it was still the same has the day it was left we found 100s of robin  bar one turf gold star fags and some jars of sweets good days
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

davidpeden

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 11:40:06 AM »
Hi Roy,
I was only 4 in 1955 so I can't really recall that one.

However, my mate Billy France and his parents lived in what used to be the shop right opposite the senior playground on Hope Street from the 1950's until 1964. They were amongst the first families to move to the new flats which were built on the top half of Benacre Street (which they renamed Mowbray Street) in 1964/5. We used to go around to his new flat to marvel at the indoor toilet and a bathroom with real hot water on tap (we still had the tin bath on the back of the front door and a communial loo way across the yard with all our hot water being boiled up in the 7 pint stew pan on the stove in those days).

I liked Gold Star fags though my weed of choice in those days was Woodbines - though to be honest I'd smoke anything I could get my hands on.    :)
Dave Peden
Balsall Heathen

janey

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 02:30:04 PM »
Hi Janey,

My favourite teacher's? Miss Houghton (RE and Music) and Stanley Burgess (Art).
There were others I liked a lot; Mr Green, Mr Benson and Mr Carter to name a few, but whilst they and others fade a bit in my memory Miss Houghton and Stan do not. They were the two people whose constant encouragement had most influence on my life and the direction it went in eventually.

I don't remember the Christmas parties as I don't think I ever got to go to one, for whatever reason.

my clearest memory is of swimming in Kent Street Baths (one of the few things I could do well) and The Pebble Mill Playing Fields, where William and I always did the cross country run so we could bunk of into the woods at the nack and go looking for frogs and newts. Don't remember ever getting caught either.
 ;D

Amongst other things I recall is buying fags, one at a time, from Job's little shop near the back entrance to the school and then sneaking of somewhere quiet to smoke them.
I guess Mr Job made a great deal of money from getting us kids hooked on the evil weed. I'm glad to say I finally kicked the habit about 30 years ago.

Happy days!

Hi David,
Mr Green and Miss Houghton were really nice, Mr Carter told the best stories ever, with sound affects, creeking doors and the like,Mr Hill i think i have the name right, maths was also a favourite of mine, the playing fields, oh i really wasn't in to games, and teachers didn't like you if you weren't into games, we had Miss Pearce no love lost, Mowbray St flats as you say bathrooms, hot water, it was like a different world, such happy days lol

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy