Author Topic: Balsall Heath - Photo's of Benacre Street and/or Hope Street  (Read 87439 times)

john2000

Re: Balsall Heath - Photo's of Benacre Street and/or Hope Street
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 12:53:10 PM »
It looks as if you where after my time there, I left in 1955, as you say David, "happy days", well not all of them anyway, we had a Mr Bowen ( sports/pt) he was a nice guy, a mans man sort of thing, and then ( bow your head when you speak her name, Mrs Mastrantony, she had married some Italian guy, and she was a cow, she didn't like me, well I didn't like her either,but I have to admit she was a good teather,
Then there was our woodwork teather Mr Bernard and Mr ?, I've forgoten his name but he was old, ( very old) and deaf as a post, he would never hear you, until you said something that was out of line and no matter what he had in his hand you felt it on the back of your head,
The there was Miss Lewis, she was also a nice person, sadly she had an illness that made her loose her hair, and some of us kids where cruel to her, we must have made her life hell at times, ( even after all these years, I still feel a little guilty about it) and then there was Mr Jones, ( I'll let you work out where he came from,), and every morning in Assembly where we all used to stand and sing, me and my mate would try to sing lower than Mr Jones, we would go lower, then Mr Jones would go lower till in the end we where almost on the floor with laughter, many a time I was up in front of the head, two of the best on each hand,
now do you remember the stairs that lead down to the playground ( at the Hope St side), I had the job as milk monitor, taking the milk around the class rooms, there was one guy who was told only bring down one crate of empties at a time down the stairs, Ana, he came down with two creates, well one day he missed his footing and over he went with bottles bouncing all over the place, down the stair well, we ran up the stairs over all the broken bottles and glass every where, and there he was, on the floor, and glass everywhere, ( some one must have smiled on him that day) because he didn't have a mark on him,
But getting back to our friend Mr Jones, every Tuesday afternoon he would march us along the Pershore Rd towards Canon hill park, well near there we ( the school) had an allotments, and we went there to "learn"gardening, we hadn't a clue what to do, but it was a break from class, and as you know November was just around the corner, so some of us had fireworks, well, on the way back from "gardening", we had to walk in pairs must have been about 15-20 of us all walking along the road, and we had to pass some houses with entries between them, now Mr Jones as behind us right at the back of our little group, when one of the guys in the front let off a firework ( thunder canon I think it was called,), any way it didn't go off when it should, yep, you can guess when it did go off, right at the time when Mr Jones was next to the entry, there was one almighty bang, I think Jones must have jumped ten feet into the air, all I'm saying is he took his coat off and put it around his waist
 we had to stay over in class for the rest of the week until he found out who it was who throw the banger up the entry.. he never found out, but I think he knew ... yep.. happy days, J2 1950-1955..
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

janey

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 04:23:13 PM »
Hi John was Mr Evans the woodwork teacher whose name you can't recall

john2000

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 05:55:23 PM »

Thats the man....he was a nice old guy,

janey

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 08:50:04 PM »
Only vaguely remember him, what with him being the woodwork teacher, was Mr Barlow your head then?

john2000

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 10:24:25 PM »
Only vaguely remember him, what with him being the woodwork teacher, was Mr Barlow your head then?
Yes, and I got to know his office quite well,

janey

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2010, 10:57:39 AM »
He went on to Harborne Hill seniors

alanmillard

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2011, 09:14:31 PM »
i also lived in balsall heath and i also went to rea street and hope street schools and i remember benacre street as well i only lived round the corner in barford street next to the barber shop no 226 i  then moved to conybere street no 115 for about 18months and i loved every minute that i spent there and i also went in the corner shop  many many times, but sorry i do not remember the teachers other than mr green and a mr barnard for woodwork and a mr Bowen i left in 1952 when i was 12 and moved away from thr erea my name is alan millard

alanmillard

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 09:23:14 PM »
it was mr evens because he took me for woodwork with mr barnard and i was also in mrs lewis class along with mr holdom not sure if i have spelled his name right

alanmillard

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2011, 09:52:01 PM »
Yes, and I got to know his office quite well,
if i remember this right mr barlow took over from mr woodward or woodwood i know it was somthing like that dose any one remember the church hall down thr road we had fot PT

janey

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2011, 10:13:13 PM »
I remember the hall well, I think theres a photo on here, I went to Rea St and Hope St but after you,  I remember Mr Green

john2000

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2011, 11:50:19 PM »
if i remember this right mr barlow took over from mr woodward or woodwood i know it was somthing like that dose any one remember the church hall down thr road we had fot PT

Remember it, we almost lived in it, with Mr Bowen, and we are jumping up and down over some long benches, and the hammerd glass in the two swing doors as you came in, remember the star pub, I almost married the daughter from there, ( almost is a wonderfull word,ha),
And its funny, but my mothers family came from Sherlock St to Benacre St nr 52 but that was long before we came along..ha...J2

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy