Author Topic: Angelina street and William Henry Street 1940  (Read 37020 times)

Maria

Re: Angelina street and William Henry Street 1940
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 08:18:16 PM »
Hi roy ben,
I am Shelley's mom and I lived in Angelina Street at 8 back 78 from around 1949 ish to 1957 ish. our house was off the street, down a path and we had gardens out front. sort of facing each other with a path between. the toilets were in a block at the bottom of the path.
Not too well described I think. but you get the drift...
There was another shop down Angelina street, on the other side of the road from us. it sold haberdashery I think, or maybe general store goods. I was young so went with my mom most times.
We had a lady called Aunty Nell ( no relation) who lived opposite. and a boy called Robin a few doors away.
We moved to Kings Norton when I was 10 years old.
I love the memories of that time when our family all lived close by.
Maria

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 08:40:37 PM »
hi maria
           welcome to the forum
well what can i say i was living there at that time just across from the black patch   just a few doors away was a paper shop called luckets   our house was  a two up and two down up the yard to the loo that was shard  at the top of our yard we had bombed out houses about four i think  that the council pulled down in 1949  1950   but i know one thing for sure you could go out and not lock your door mind you no one had any thing worth stealing in 1953 we had a street party racing in the road aLL  good fun  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 09:13:47 PM »
Hi Shelley & Maria,

Welcome both to the forum, we have one or two members from the Highgate area so you should heel at home.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Maria

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »
Hi Roy ben,
I have a photo of myself at that street party. I was dressed in a brown paper outfit. I was 6yrs old. I remember I hated that outfit, I wanted a pretty dress haha. :D I have lots of them now, :) but as you say we have to keep everything locked away.
Things have changed a lot since then.
How excited were we when we got that black and white tv all those years ago. and everyone went to bed at 10-00......
Devon was like it until a few years ago, but then it has changed too. we now have to lock the doors.
I spoke to my mom last night and she said we lived nxt door to a family called the Bakers, they had a son called David, perhaps you knew him. and a lad down the yard called Malcolm, He was a bit of a HANDFUL so to say. he used to pull my hair as I went past his garden. mmm.
it was good times
Maria

Maria

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 11:36:22 AM »
Hi Phil
Thank you for the welcome.
Does anyone remember the Labour Club at Moseley.???
We went there as a family almost every weekend, as a very large family. Aunts Uncles Cousins etc.
Maria

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 12:47:50 PM »
Hello Maria

A gang of us used the Labour club quite often in the 60's on a Saturday afternoon until one day when the Secretary complained about the swearing at the table we were playing cards at. I wasn't the one swearing but I said " you have got to be right alongside the table to hear anybody swearing because its only conversation level and besides there is not a woman in the club at this time, so who is offended"

We were asked to leave, We were never liked in there anyway as I think we were the only young members and they were mostly elderly members. The same family ruled the committee there for years, I just can't remember the name now.

I much preferred the Brunswick Club up the road, only I wasn't able to get membership there until much later.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »
hi maria

got to ask did you ever  go on a gangs day out to the lickys  or cannonhill park  us kids used to get the tram on Bristol road and go to the lickys for the day most time there would be 15 or 20 of us  cold tea in a pop bottle and a bit of bread and dripping  and two pence tram fare  diffent time diffrent place when kids could be kids and made our own fun

Maria

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 07:45:23 PM »
Hi Phil. I am sorry you had a problem at the labour club.
We went there on Saturday nights to the dance(ballroon with jive in the interval if we were lucky. ::)
I stooped going in around 61-62
My dad went fishing with the club and we used to go in a sharabang.
Loved it

Maria

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 07:47:19 PM »
Hi roy ben.
I was only 10 when we left so tooooo young for the tram i'm afraid.
My cousin did live in the licky's later though and I went on the bus.
Such a lovely place.
My mom and dad used to go on the tram though.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 08:25:08 PM »
Hi Maria

As I went to a few of those dances I might have tripped over you on the dance floor in the back room a few times. As I say I never liked the place much and I was only asked to leave on that particular day that I mentioned and not banned, but I didn't go back in there for years I think the last time I ever used it was in 1971.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 08:30:53 PM »
hi maria
            i think trams was still running on the Bristol road until about  1955 might be a bit later

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy