Author Topic: Back to backs Part 2 - William St Lozells  (Read 44738 times)

Goldfish

Re: Back to backs Part 2 - William St Lozells
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 01:08:43 AM »
hi all...phil you are quite right..those pics are not of william st in lozells....

mother goose i have 21 pics of william street including some of the back yards taken in the 60s prior to demolision..if you would like to send me a private message giving your email address i will happily send them to you...

lyn... :)

Hi there,  my father started life in William Street.  He moved away when very young and so has no memories of where he lived.  I wonder if you might still have these photos?

Many thanks, Paul

vauxonion

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
Paul I see you have only posted a couple of times welcome to the forum.The answer would be to send Lyn a PM I know she will help you out but I think you will need to post a few more time before you are allowed to do this.Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 12:05:49 PM »
Hi Paul

As Dek says you will need to make at least 25 posts before you can use the messaging system. In the meantime I will contact Lyn to see if there is anything we can do about posting the photos on this forum between us.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Goldfish

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 01:18:36 PM »
Hi Paul

As Dek says you will need to make at least 25 posts before you can use the messaging system. In the meantime I will contact Lyn to see if there is anything we can do about posting the photos on this forum between us.

Phil

Thanks Phil and Dek, i never though i'd have such a quick response! It would be great to see some pics of William Street. 6 Back 106 william Street is the address, not that i'm expecting a photo of the court but it would be great to see buildings my grandparents would most likey have seen or walked past.  They were there from 1948 to 1953 ish. Utterly fascinating looking back at Birmingham not so long ago.

After a load of research on my Mum's side ( Cottrells )of the family in and about Birmingham i'm having a go at my Dad's family tree. I've had a look at a number of addresses in the Central Library register of electors books and the Kelly's Directories.  I saw on an earlier post that Mother Goose was a former resident of William Street!

I'm looking at Edwards's in Birmingham...bit vague. I'll try out a new post to see if anyone might have anything further or indeed if i might be able to help someone else.

Thanks again, speak soon,

Paul

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 05:12:31 PM »
Hi Paul

I contacted Lyn and she emailed me these photos of William St, she would have uploaded them herself but she has a little difficulty in resizing photos to the required size acceptable by this site.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »
Here are some more,
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 05:18:10 PM »
And four more
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Goldfish

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 08:06:05 AM »
Phil,

Thank you so much, these photo's are AMAZING.  My dad will be very happy to see them....and i am too. Could you pass on my thanks to Lyn too, it is very much appreciated. Brilliant! Made my week! 

Thanks again, Paul

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 11:40:43 AM »
Paul

I'm glad that you and your dad are happy, as I'm sure Lyn will be. Did she manage to find a photo of your old house? I noticed there were one or two back courts among the photos.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Goldfish

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »
Phil,

with these photo's, i plan to try to make sense of where the buildings are.  i know Birmingham Library has a collection of maps.  I have a map of 1839 of william street but it's not going to be too much help i fear, because it's 100 years or so out of date.

Most of the photo's have a steady incline on them which should give away which side of the street they are, when i get to visit William Street on my next visit to Birmingham, hopefully in the next few weeks.

I'll have a look though the register of electors aswell, to see what's there in the 1950's house by house.

I doubt my dad will be able to tell me anything further, but we never know.

I'll definately let you know how i get on.

Thanks again,.... still smiling. Paul

Goldfish

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 03:56:27 PM »
I've tried to post a picture of my dad as a baby, i think in William Street. The doorway certainly looks like one of the buildings in the photo, even down to the frontdoor steps and the colour of the drainpipe.  It'd be brilliant if it was. Paul

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy