Author Topic: Back to backs Part 2 - William St Lozells  (Read 44733 times)

astoness

Re: Back to backs Part 2 - William St Lozells
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 03:31:34 PM »
hi paul..what a cracking pic you posted....ive just emailed phil another 3 that i have found in my files..one of them shows a corner shop called A C SERGENT at number 82 then going up a little is a factory called exata and you can just see a couple of houses past the factory...if you lived at the back of 106 then this pic cant be far off....

lyn

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 05:33:35 PM »
Paul,

Here are the four photos mentioned by Lyn. she also tells me that the photo in the previous batch of images that shows JF Ratcliff Metals is actually William St North, sorry about that.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Goldfish

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 08:46:18 PM »
Lyn and Phil,

thank you again for the photos, they're brilliant.  I will try to glean as much information from them as i can and try to place them on a street map of William street.

I put the photo i posted through Adobe Photoshop to get it to that. The photo itself is only about 2"x3". Quite pleased with it in the end.

I'll let you know how i get on.

Speak soon

Paul

astoness

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 07:31:16 AM »
hi paul no thanks needed its a pleasure to help but many thanks to phil for posting my pics on the forum....the fouth pic posted shows houses numbered 87 to 113 paul so i would think they were more or less opposite no 106...i really must get the hang of posting pics on here.. :)

lyn

astoness

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 07:40:45 AM »
hi again paul i forgot to say that i dont know how well you know birmingham of old but i do have a good little street map showing william st and surrounding streets which i refer to a lot to get my bearings...if you think it will be of help to you just let me know and i will ask phil to post it...

lyn  :)

Goldfish

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 10:22:07 AM »
 Hi Lyn, a map would be great, i've been working off an 1885 map on the internet, i'm hoping Central Library has a collection of useful maps.  If you've a map, that'd be really useful.  I'm a youngster at 35, i get the feeling a lot of the old streets of Birmingham had gone by the time i was born, i find it utterly fascinating though...much to the annoyance of my other half! Dad however is very much a walking A-Z!

I went through the 1911 census for William Street house by house yesterday so i've a better idea of what was there in terms of courts etc.  I'm looking forward to comparing it to the elctoral register for the 20's 30's 40's etc to see how it changed over time.  I found two pubs yesterday that are listed on the midlandspubs website.  There looks to possibly be a white pub on one of the photos William Street No 73-129 - Corner Gower Street Newtown - 11-_opt.jpg , a little way down the road with a sign hanging over the doorway.  I'd like to see if it is and if i can identify it.

If you're interested in the 1885 map that i've found extremely useful, have a look at

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/maps/index.jsp?layer=europe&xMin=3212145&yMin=2896707&xMax=3242145&yMax=2926707

You'll need to choose Boundary maps (as opposed to topographic or land use maps), then double click on the map (opposite the boundary map series list) a few times until you have 'zoomed in' on the centre of Birmingham.  Then scroll down the page a little way and you will find a further list of maps, double click on Boundary Commission Report 1885 and that will open the map in a new window.  You can then zoom in and out on this map and has nearly all the roads, named, as they were in 1885.  I've found this invaluable in working on my family tree. I hope you find it interesting. 
Would you mind emailing me directly the photo William Street No 73-129 - Corner Gower Street Newtown - 11-_opt.jpg, I’d like to see if I can get put a higher resolution image through Photoshop to see if I can see any more detail.  I’ve put my email address on my profile.  No problems at all if you’d rather not.

Thanks again. Paul

mikejee

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 01:21:13 PM »
Paul
I don't know if this c 1917 map is any use. Have to have it below 80 kp to post. that;s why it is a little blurred

vauxonion

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 03:46:36 PM »
Heres a Map I think the one Lyn has in mind dated 1940.Dek

Goldfish

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 08:43:32 PM »
Thanks Mikejee and Dek.  That's great, exactly what i'm looking for.  That'll get things moving a bit faster... 

Had a bit of a moment yesterday, because i spent the whole time on the 1911 census looking through all of the addresses on the wrong William Street!

Teach me to be a bit more careful!  Round two....

Thanks again, Paul

Goldfish

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2012, 09:07:08 PM »
Mikejee,

would you be happy to email your map directly to me? i could do with seeing more detail on it, if that'd be ok with you. If not, no worries, i'm already a very happy man with what you've posted today.

Thanks Paul

mikejee

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 12:25:42 AM »
Sure Paul
. I will e-mail you a clearer map of a larger area if you IM me your e-mail address (can you send IMs yet, if not perhaps Phil would give it to you with my permission or give me yours with your permission). I don't seem to be able to send ones to you, so perhaps you can't. I'm sure Phil will sort it out.  The reason the one on the forum was small & indistict was just size limiatations on the forum.
Mike

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy