Author Topic: Back to backs Part 2 - William St Lozells  (Read 44767 times)

Goldfish

Re: Back to backs Part 2 - William St Lozells
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2012, 09:48:55 AM »
Hi Mike, that'd be great to have the better image.  I've put my email address on my profile which i think is only visible when you're logged in.  If not i'd be happy for you to have my email address from Phil if that's allowed.  Thanks Paul

mikejee

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 09:51:29 AM »
It doesn't tseem to show for me

mikejee

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 11:31:54 AM »

Right Paul, I've got it. You can delete it now, so asnot to get too many unrequested offers for peculiar devices or ways to make money

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 11:33:29 AM »
Paul

I have removed your email address and passed it on to Mike via PM. It's not a good idea to post your email address on the forum. You will shortly be able to use the messaging system yourself where you can pass on private messages without the whole world being able to see. This system becomes available after you have made 25 posts on the forum.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Goldfish

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2012, 11:45:29 AM »
Thanks both of you, i saw Mike was on line and though it the quickest way to get  my address over, was waiting to replace it with a thank you message.  Thank you Phil though for deleting it though, good to know you've our best interests at heart. Paul O0

Goldfish

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2012, 12:18:12 PM »
Mike, Brilliant map!!! Thanks ever so much. Just going through the 1891 census to get an idea of the buildings that were there.  This is going to make life a whole lot easier! Thanks again, have a great day. Paul

Goldfish

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2012, 06:56:52 PM »
 I think I have found locations for a number of the photos of William Street.

9 William Street Newtown 5-7-1967.jpg looking north is the left hand corner of Clifford St and William St.

7 William Street Newtown 5-7-1967.jpg looking north east is the right hand side corner of Clifford St and William St, (note the pothole in the road).

8 William Street Newtown 5-7-1967.jpg is the same buildings  on the corner of Clifford St and William St, but slightly further up taken at a different time, (note the pothole and the large rectangle window that has had some brickwork done above it).

William Street No 87-113 Newtown 5-7-1967_opt.jpg looking north this is on the left hand side in the southern half of William St between Clifford St and Gerrard St.

1 William Street - 5.jpg looking north towards the junction of Gerrard St, the corner building in the distance is on Gerrard St.

William Street Newtown 5-7-1967 a_opt.jpg looking north, shows the opposite corner of Gerrard street and William sreet

William Street No 82 11_opt.jpg is the same building on the corner as in 1 William Street - 5.jpg taken from further up the road.

11 William Street Newtown 11-7-1967.jpg is looking north, about 6 houses north of the junction of Gerrard St and William St.

2 William Street - 11.jpg looking north is just before the junction of Gower St which would be on your left hand side.

William Street No 73-129 - Corner Gower Street Newtown - 11-_opt.jpg this time looking south, shows the corner shop on Gower Street, number 33.  The white building with the sign hanging by the lorry is Gough’s Arms (from the 1891 census) The Royal Victoria Crown/Arms is at no.31 on the other corner of Gower St and William St (1891 Census).

I’ve not yet managed to find where the other photos were taken but a little more time and I might get there. If anyone sees that I’ve made a mistake (having never been there) please let me know, but I’m pretty certain I’ve got it right. 

Many thanks to Phil, Mike, Dek and Lyn without whom I would still be scratching my head.  Your photo’s and maps are great and your help is much appreciated.  Paul

Goldfish

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 12:06:40 PM »
 Names of courtyards

I’ve been through the census’s from 1911 to 1881 for William Street and found the names to most of the courtyards.  Just wondering if these names will sound familiar to anyone or if they’d evoke any memories.

William Street east side;
Court 2 Henry Place, Court 8 Provident Place, 1 & 2 Back 32 William Albert Place, 10 court Walter Place, Back of 42 or 44 Woodbine Place, Court 12 Prospect Place, Court 14 Brunswick Place, Court 16 Stone Place, Court 18 ?Oak Place?, Court 22 possibly Inworth Place, Court 26 Inworth Place and Court 28 Gransby Place.

William Street west side;
Court 1 Mena Place, Back of 61 St James’s Place and Court 13 Ashley Place.

Shops and Pubs taken from the census’s 1911 to 1881

Junction of Gower Street and William Street

No.31 The Royal Victoria Crown (or maybe Arms due to some not very lavish handwriting) was on the Northwest corner and no.33 was a Grocers.  Gough’s arms was a little further south at no.49.
There was possibly a grocer at no.59 in 1911.

Junction of Gerrard Street and William Street

No.69 on the Northwest corner was a Butcher’s in 1911 and 1881. No 71 on the Southwest corner was a Grocer and Off Licence in 1911. Nothing as yet found for the corner buildings on the east side.
Further south at no.91 in 1911 there was an Emma Mills described as Shopkeeper Own Account.  This might have been a shop.

Junction of Clifford Street and William Street

No.129 on the Northwest corner housed a Master Baker working at home in 1911.  I’m guessing it might well have been a Baker’s Shop at some point, but it doesn’t mention shopkeeper on the census.

Hoping this is of some use or interest to someone at some point, thought I’d post it just in case.  Paul

mikejee

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 12:21:03 PM »

Paul
The 1912 Kellys shows:
129 Joseph Hall baker
91  Miss Emma Mills shopkeeper (but in 1910 it is Miss Martha white, shopkeeper, and by 1912 she has moved to no 105 as a draper)
31 is Royal Victoria Cross
mike

Goldfish

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 03:04:14 PM »
Mike,

thanks for that, upon reinspection it is Joseph Hall at 129 in 1911 and also Martha White at 105 listed as Haberdasher which fits nicely! I think i've got the numers of the houses sorted (95% sure), a future visit to the library should confirm them i hope. 

The picture William Street, Birmingham (Dad) low res2.jpg i posted earlier on page 2 is 106 William St, which is amazing news for me! It is the same doorway as in 1 William Street - 5.jpg.  Looking at the building, on the right hand side of the passage is 106 and on the left hand side is 104.  24 Court is behind with 1-6 back 106 behind, with four of the houses in a line behind 106. Great stuff! Paul

Goldfish

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 03:08:16 PM »
126 William Street is the Sandy Bank Tavern in 1891 and the Sandy Hill Tavern in 1881.  In 1911 it is listed as a Public House and managed by John Savage.  His daughter Nellie assists in the business.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy