Author Topic: Back to backs Part 2 - William St Lozells  (Read 44737 times)

Mother_Goose

Re: Back to backs Part 2 - William St Lozells
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2012, 11:24:27 PM »
Hi everyone

WOW this thread has grown since I last looked in. I didn't post the photos as I wasn't sure if I could - but thanks astoness for the upload. I can answer many questions about these photos as ours was the last but one family to leave William St with buildings being demolished around our ears.

Photo 1 is my house the two story back to backs with the transit van. Mine is the one on the left 102 William St, next door to the right is 104 and 106 William St, The Golds lived in 104 and the Lambs in 100

Photo5 is the courtyard behind 102 and has my sisters in the picture plus a little boy. The sisters are twins

Photo 6 is the part of William St between Gerrard St and Lozells Rd - looking to Six Ways

Photo 7 is the bottom of William St next to Clifford St and if you walked around the corner  you would have seen the metal plating factory (now converted into flats) In fact I remember the day it was on fire and they were chucking the scrapped pieces out.

Photo 8 is looking up William St from Clifford rd end. You can't see it in the picture but there was factory to the right - where we used to go and play on the Clocking in machine

Photo 9 is where Gerrard St crosses William St, The opposite corner to Sargeants Fruit and Veg. (we used to go there for bruised bananas for our sandwiches)

ref 87-113 - is on the left of William St towards Clifford St and is the sweet shop where we used to select our choice of 4 for a 1p off the tray

Pics 3 and 4  - I did identify the courtyards - well my brother Les did because he is two years older - but I have filed the notes I made about them and need to dig them out. I think 3 is the courtyard back of 106

people who lived in courtyard behind 102

There was Alice - an old lady, the Trainers and the Brutons to name a few

People who lived in back of courtyard 106

Smiths, Dolphins - Smiths kept the chickens and were relatives as indeed my family were Smiths

I am sure when my brother visits he will recognise the photo of Goldfish dad

which then begs me to wonder if Goldfish is one of the Golds descendants?

If you look at the plan at the start of this thread - the courtyards are numbered

Astoness had sent me a few more pics and I identified these as Alma St where it runs from Gerrard up to Six Ways as we used to use the shops - when I find my notes I can add more

O0

Goldfish

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 10:30:02 PM »
Hi Mother Goose

thanks for the information of where the photos were taken.  If photo 3 is back 106 that would be brilliant. 

I'm not a descendant of the Gold's i'm afraid.  My grandparents were Ernest and Stella Edwards and would have lived at 6 back 106 from 1948 to 1952.  Ernest was known in later life as Eddie.  I'd love one day to find a photo of 6 back 106 itself.  I'm guessing that photo 5 might be the closest i'll come to knowing what it was like.  Can you remember what the houses in the courtyard behind 106 were like?

Great photos.

Thanks Paul :)

Stephen King

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2012, 09:46:29 PM »
Hi folks, I am new to the forum, but feel qualified to comment as I was born at 70 William street in 1956, my brother was born there in 1947, and my eldest brother in 1941, my Father was a builder named George William King, and my mother was Edna May King, we lived opposite the shop owned by Mrs Eaves, and a few doors up on the other side of the road was the Gough Arms, an Ansells pub. If I can find any photo`s or perloin some from family I will post them on my next visit. I left age 7 to Wyrley Birch Estate, near Witton Lakes park, I attended Alma Street school till that time, and was the first pupil to enter the annex (portacabin) the year before I moved. If I can dig up any more information I will post it next time, or if anyone knows me or my family get in touch. :)

granny smith

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2012, 12:22:45 PM »
I am sitting here with my brother leslie smith and he tells me that he remembers you stephen he called you ' kingy ', the other families that he can remember is Gold , family could be spelt Gould, stephen taylor, gary dolphin, michael beet, stephen donnerley, keith porter, lisa edmunds, susan shaw, sara mcguire, to name but a few.
There was an annex built by paddock st , as the amount of children increased.  I remember, the fire escape that you had to take up to classroom, did not like going that way, I used to go in the side entrance.   I can remember going across the playground to fetch some clay for the classroom out of a tub in the shed, through a gate in the back play ground, we played british bulldog.  going to read my janet and john books to Mrs Jones, to get my reading card and a sweet from the tin,

cathie

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 03:36:41 PM »
Hi Mother Goose

thanks for the information of where the photos were taken.  If photo 3 is back 106 that would be brilliant. 

I'm not a descendant of the Gold's i'm afraid.  My grandparents were Ernest and Stella Edwards and would have lived at 6 back 106 from 1948 to 1952.  Ernest was known in later life as Eddie.  I'd love one day to find a photo of 6 back 106 itself.  I'm guessing that photo 5 might be the closest i'll come to knowing what it was like.  Can you remember what the houses in the courtyard behind 106 were like?

Great photos.

Thanks Paul :)
Lyn and Phil,

thank you again for the photos, they're brilliant.  I will try to glean as much information from them as i can and try to place them on a street map of William street.

I put the photo i posted through Adobe Photoshop to get it to that. The photo itself is only about 2"x3". Quite pleased with it in the end.

I'll let you know how i get on.

Speak soon

Paul
I have just found these by accident, am knocked out to see the old William street. I lived on Gerrard st, but our back entry came out just past the old butchers yard, the Wilsons were in the 1st house next to our entry, then the Handley's further up were the porters and ?back of them the Edmonds. I recall being sent to ask for tick from Eaves' shop, and I am sure that greengrocers was called Jack's in my day, and was corner of gerrard/ william st! My goodness, how the memories flood back! My Dad could usually be found in the Gough Arms, or any other close pub! lol Thanks for the site & memories xx

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2012, 04:10:21 PM »
Hi Cathie,

and to anybody else I haven't said hello to, welcome. Cathie here a couple of photos that might interest you of the Gerrard St locality. I'll have a look later to see if I have any more.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2012, 07:49:55 PM »
Cathie

One of our members Astoness (Lyn) has asked me to post these two images for her. They are both of Gerrard Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cathie

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 02:27:25 PM »
 O0  Thank you so very much for the photo's, I have a sickening sense that the knocked down houses may have included mine, but they all looked so similar.I have some old pics of my Mum as a kid, I will find them out, it may have been Lennox st, not sure! Does anyone recall the wool shop corner of William st & Gerrard st? they had a dog we called Black Bob, he used to run after any motor bikes, that dared to pass him! lol The things that come to mind! I also remember Terry Porters dog Prince! I must come here more often, it's helping my memory banks! Best of luck to you all, Cathie x

illumina3

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2014, 09:09:44 PM »
Just wanted to add my thanks for all the photos - my great-grandparents lived at 55 William Street between 1911 and the late 50s/early 60s, my grandfather too between 1912 and 1939. Anyone remember the Prices?!

Denise Edmonds

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2014, 08:32:55 PM »
I lived on 3/57 William St and went to Alma st school. Lived there fro 1957 to 1967. Neighbours were the houstans the  child's family and the porter family. Great memories of bonfire nights in our yard and chestnuts. Also in choir at St Paul's church. Ahhhhhh

Denise Edmonds

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2014, 08:37:18 PM »
O0  Thank you so very much for the photo's, I have a sickening sense that the knocked down houses may have included mine, but they all looked so similar.I have some old pics of my Mum as a kid, I will find them out, it may have been Lennox st, not sure! Does anyone recall the wool shop corner of William st & Gerrard st? they had a dog we called Black Bob, he used to run after any motor bikes, that dared to pass him! lol The things that come to mind! I also remember Terry Porters dog Prince! I must come here more often, it's helping my memory banks! Best of luck to you all, Cathie x

Hi I lived opposite the porters

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy