Author Topic: Back to backs Part 2 - William St Lozells  (Read 44732 times)

Denise Edmonds

Re: Back to backs Part 2 - William St Lozells
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2014, 08:45:04 PM »
Hi Cathie,

and to anybody else I haven't said hello to, welcome. Cathie here a couple of photos that might interest you of the Gerrard St locality. I'll have a look later to see if I have any more.

I am Denise Edmonds from the Edmonds family

Denise Edmonds

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2014, 09:03:29 PM »
I am sitting here with my brother leslie smith and he tells me that he remembers you stephen he called you ' kingy ', the other families that he can remember is Gold , family could be spelt Gould, stephen taylor, gary dolphin, michael beet, stephen donnerley, keith porter, lisa edmunds, susan shaw, sara mcguire, to name but a few.
There was an annex built by paddock st , as the amount of children increased.  I remember, the fire escape that you had to take up to classroom, did not like going that way, I used to go in the side entrance.   I can remember going across the playground to fetch some clay for the classroom out of a tub in the shed, through a gate in the back play ground, we played british bulldog.  going to read my janet and john books to Mrs Jones, to get my reading card and a sweet from the tin,
I am Lisa Edmonds sister

LEN

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2014, 04:30:14 PM »
MY MEMORY IS FADING,(I AM 88) BUT COURTED MY WIFE WHO LIVED AT 4/83 WELLS ST. OPPOSITE LUCAS'ES.I REMEMBER WHEELER ST. WITH CHAPMANS THE  GREEN GROCER ON THE CORNER OF FARM ST.AND CLIFFORD STS NAME IS VERY FAMILIAR BUT CANNOT REMEMBER WHERE IT IS IN RELATION TO WHEELER ST.I LIVED FOR A SHORT TIME AT 122 ALMA ST IN 1948, SO REMEMBER THE GENERAL AREA OF LOZELLS. HOWEVER I HAVE LIVED HERE IN CANADA FOR THE LAST 50 YEARS AND HAVE NOT BEEN BACK TO THAT AREA

philip

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2015, 01:39:48 PM »
hi to all lozellians (I think its right)

having myself just surfed the back to back brum sites

the photos are superb and many capture the area well even in it derelict state

having read many of the messages even those sent by my sister (I wish she would have told me before I could have contributed being a bit older)

the photos are great and it would be good if people could share them at a good quality, has this been done as I cannot find them? if not then can anyone help get this done??

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2015, 03:07:06 PM »
Hi Philip

Welcome to you, the trouble with the photo's on this site is that the upload limit per image is so low (80k per photo). Also as most of these type images are probably copied from other sites on the internet in the first place that do not have copyright issues the quality of the photos may not be that good in the first place anyway.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

gurleyr

« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2016, 11:12:04 PM »
I have been tracing my family tree and my great Uncle Percy Gurley lived and ran the pub called the Gough at 49 William Street.  I would love to see some photos of the area to add to my family tree

Pat causer

« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2016, 01:26:21 AM »
Does anyone remember a shop in William st the lady was called Mrs Eve she had a son we lived opposite at no 66 there was also a pub opposite us aswell I was 6 at the time moved away when I was 7 we had a neighbour mr Beecham  our name was Hanna had 2, older sisters

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2016, 09:52:54 AM »
hi pat could this be it
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2016, 10:18:02 AM »
Mrs D Eaves shop was at 49 Williams Street and the Gough Arms public house was at 59 Gough Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Spyke

« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2016, 01:44:47 PM »
Hi everyone

WOW this thread has grown since I last looked in. I didn't post the photos as I wasn't sure if I could - but thanks astoness for the upload. I can answer many questions about these photos as ours was the last but one family to leave William St with buildings being demolished around our ears.

Photo 1 is my house the two story back to backs with the transit van. Mine is the one on the left 102 William St, next door to the right is 104 and 106 William St, The Golds lived in 104 and the Lambs in 100

Photo5 is the courtyard behind 102 and has my sisters in the picture plus a little boy. The sisters are twins

Photo 6 is the part of William St between Gerrard St and Lozells Rd - looking to Six Ways

Photo 7 is the bottom of William St next to Clifford St and if you walked around the corner  you would have seen the metal plating factory (now converted into flats) In fact I remember the day it was on fire and they were chucking the scrapped pieces out.

Photo 8 is looking up William St from Clifford rd end. You can't see it in the picture but there was factory to the right - where we used to go and play on the Clocking in machine

Photo 9 is where Gerrard St crosses William St, The opposite corner to Sargeants Fruit and Veg. (we used to go there for bruised bananas for our sandwiches)

ref 87-113 - is on the left of William St towards Clifford St and is the sweet shop where we used to select our choice of 4 for a 1p off the tray

Pics 3 and 4  - I did identify the courtyards - well my brother Les did because he is two years older - but I have filed the notes I made about them and need to dig them out. I think 3 is the courtyard back of 106

people who lived in courtyard behind 102

There was Alice - an old lady, the Trainers and the Brutons to name a few

People who lived in back of courtyard 106

Smiths, Dolphins - Smiths kept the chickens and were relatives as indeed my family were Smiths

I am sure when my brother visits he will recognise the photo of Goldfish dad

which then begs me to wonder if Goldfish is one of the Golds descendants?

If you look at the plan at the start of this thread - the courtyards are numbered

Astoness had sent me a few more pics and I identified these as Alma St where it runs from Gerrard up to Six Ways as we used to use the shops - when I find my notes I can add more

O0
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I recently found out that my Great Grandmother ran the Gough Arms with someone named Hemming or Hemmings? back in the 1940s. My Mother remembers going there with her brother when she was a girl. I'd be interested to find out more. I think the pub was demolished in the 60s but I'd like to find a bit more on the landlord. My Great Grandmother 's maiden name was Mills, but she married Powder hill and after she was with the landlord of the pub. I don't know if they got married.

lance55

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2016, 10:03:26 PM »
Hi my name is Lance i'm sure i lived at 2/57 i certainly remember the 2 child brother ,Keith, i think the edmond family (4 girls 1 boy) next door i can remember two names lisa and debbie all at the same time as you 1955 to 1967, having found this site it has brought back many memories of william street
and what i remember as good times ,never had anything and wouldn't change a thing , and thanks to everybody  who posted all those fantastic photo of william st

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy