Author Topic: Bomb Sites  (Read 57672 times)

Gee Gee

Bomb Sites
« on: May 10, 2011, 11:57:25 AM »
Where/What was your favourite bomb site and what was the most wicked thing you did there.?

buster

Re: Bomb Sites
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 06:21:21 PM »
My favourate site was in Sherbourne Road Balsall Heath. There were two shelters about 3ft apart we would jump one to the other.Also in Balsall Heath Road there was one that they used for bike riding we would sit on the wall and watch getting very dirty from the dust.Mom would tell me of for getting dirty as she said girls always be clean and tidy. Great days and great fun also it did not cost anything 

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 08:33:10 PM »
what was the most wicked thing you did there.?

Man, you are opening a can of worms here right now!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »
the bomb site by the side of highgat park just over the railings from the swings
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Gee Gee

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 09:34:45 PM »
Roy,
      and what wicked thing did you do there. I can sence the smile on your face

Gee Gee

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:36:38 PM »
Anne,
         C/mon then are you going to be the first to let the worms out.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:40:12 PM »
all i will say on the matter is that i found out the difference between boys and girls ;D ;D O0

Gee Gee

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:49:45 PM »
Roy,
      Found out about the birds and bees one cold dark night in St Martens flats.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 10:06:06 PM »
We had so many bomb sites around us in Nechells some of them made by Adolph's lads and the others made by demolition contractors. It was hard to make a choice, but if I had to choose one it would be one of the real bomb sites it was Holbrook's the site of the old vinegar factory on Ashted Row.

It was a great site it had a half exposed tunnel which I could only imagine was a part of a canal tunnel, but I suppose it could have been a huge vaulted ceiling cellar. On the adjoining empty factory that fronted Heneage street there was a huge chimney stack with a steel ladder that went right up to the top. We used to dare each other to climb up as far as we dared. Only a couple of us ever made it to the top.

What amazed me was we would spend days on this bomb site and nobody ever came and moved us off or sent the police around. I think today if you set one foot on a site like that the police would be all over you.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 10:44:26 PM »
can any one remember Ashley street it was between Bristol street and hope street or round there there was a load of bomb sites there and shelters  the shelter was still around in the late 40s and early 50

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 10:53:20 PM »
 St Martens flats. now that was a place for fun it was just down the road from me i lived in Angelina street by the black patch  went in the flats there it was the first time i seen a real bath apart from the ones in the swimming baths we used to play hide and seek in the flats and in the one place we could jump off the lower floor to the ground us kids used to think that the folk in the flats was posh

i wonder what year they pulled the flats down or did they just fall down

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy