Author Topic: Bomb Sites  (Read 57667 times)

Anne from Stirchley

Re: Bomb Sites
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 10:55:50 PM »
Anne,
         C/mon then are you going to be the first to let the worms out.

I was born in 1951, but cannot remember ever seeing a bomb site in Brum.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 11:05:33 PM »
hi Ann if you went in to b/heath and you seen a long row of houses but there was a gap between some of the houses  then its a far chance that the house had been bombed out  and then pulled down to make it safe  still gaps in the early 60s
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 11:14:11 PM »
Roy, you're right, I must have seen bomb sites. It's such a long time ago, that's why I can't remember.

trapio

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 11:50:52 PM »

Bomb sites were our free Adventure Playgrounds* - all  different, each had its own 'attractions'. O0

* before that had been thought up

Integrity is non negotiable

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 10:32:58 AM »
Obviously because the size limitations for photos on the site this map plotting bomb damage during WWII can not be made very clear. Each one of the red dots was an incendiary bomb and each one of the black dots a high explosive bomb. So in all probability each spot would indicate a bomb site.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Gee Gee

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 10:51:04 AM »
Phil,
     I have just identified my red spot for the crater. I just knew I would get a photo one day. lol

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 11:01:50 AM »
Gee Gee

Perhaps you can see it better here, this is the Sparkbrook section of the bomb plot. Better known to the locals at the time as "Bomb Alley".

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Gee Gee

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 11:18:18 AM »
Phi,
      thank you.the bombers were aiming for the BSA factories situated in Sampson Rd North,South RD and Montgomery St.
      The red dot between the letters S-A in Sampson RD is the crater. Whatis the significance between the red dots and the black ones,?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 11:56:38 AM »
Gee Gee

As I understand it the red dots were incendiary bombs and the black ones were High Explosive. I didn't think incendiary bombs left huge craters, but there again I don't know much about bombs at all. The other thing is I don't have any information on how the map works. If it in fact shows all the bombs that were dropped on Birmingham or only those over a certain time period.

If it was a record of all the bombs dropped during the war, then they would have had to have been plotted some time after the end of the war. Therefore sometimes recording events over a long period of some five or six years errors can occur.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Gee Gee

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 12:46:25 PM »
Roy,
     not sure when they pulled the flat down, they were there when I went into the ARMY 1958, used to have a school mate who lived there Micky Pearce. also knew a couple of folk in Angelina St, Roy and Joyce Kirby.

frederick

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 02:39:23 PM »
This shows two bomb sites off Leamington rd coloured yellow the bottom right one was also on Snoney lane that is wear we had our bonfire and Brunswick rd had theirs at the other one so we would have banger rides on the night  :)

Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy