Author Topic: Swan Yardley  (Read 24006 times)

wimbush yardley

Re: Swan Yardley
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 08:25:56 PM »
Hi Phil/
        We have the same thing happening in wolverhampton Sainsburys put in planning permission to develop the site they own over 90% of but the council gave permission to tesco becauce they were offered varios incetives so we have been told. Sainsburys appealed th the highest court in th land and got permission now Tesco wont sell the small amount of ground they own unless they get planning permission on another site!!!!!!!
                                       Regards Ken.
Do not judge a house by its appearance but by the warmth of the welcome.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 08:34:23 PM »
The shoe was on the other foot here, Jeremy owned some of the land and he put forward an alternative scheme that would have been something like the scheme down by the Blues ground that he and his brother owned.

But Tesco's got all the big guns out against him including the local MP and in the end Birmingham Council compulsory purchased his land for Tesco.

His idea would have been much better for the local traders because he was going to divide it up into different units for different traders like most shopping centres instead of allowing Tesco to take it all and kill off all the local competition.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blackrose

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »
Played football for the Swan pub team after the pub had actually gone.

suemalings

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 08:13:46 AM »
I don't live in Birmingham any loinger but visit Yardley regularly as Mother in Law still lives close to the Yew Tree.

Living here in Cambridgeshire we have big problems with "Out of Town" Supermarkets" and have seen the decline of the smaller towns like St. Ives and Huntingdon with independent shops closing.  I cannot think of one greengrocer in any of the small towns around where I live.  I have a choice of the three big supermarket chains for grocery shopping and now, with the Tesco Extra, I can buy all electrical, furniture, clothes etc etc. in one store.  To me our Tesco Extra is a small department store.  (It would never compete with Lewis's though!)

Having lived by the Yew Tree and driven many times around the Swan and Church Road, I have to say that, in my opinion, the area definately needed improvement due to the volume of traffic. It is unfortunate that it took Tesco to spend money to make the improvements.

alanmillard

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 10:17:48 PM »
Does anyone remember the Swan at Yardley , when the old one was knocked down , they built a new modern one ( in the 60's ) that was supposed to be the biggest in Europe , i can remember going there with my dad .

Mogmeister  .
Hi yes i can remember the Swan pub but it was not a patch on the old one my they had some great dances there, i can remember falling all the way down the stairs after having a drop to much. alan

Mikeh

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 11:07:19 PM »
I'm lucky to have been involved with the last swan pub, arranging for the band, Cream to perform.

As they only performed for a couple of years it was quite a night.

Anyone remember?

Aladdin

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 04:36:45 PM »
Didn't the new pub have something daft like 13 bars in it...?
I played in a pool competition there in the late 70's for The Dogpool and won a little trophy...lol.

Tedstaff

Yardle
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 08:08:28 PM »
I lived in Holder Rd then my mom and dad had the Yardley unionist club next to the adelphi cinema  where I spent all my time I went to Blakesley hall school  and I really enjoyed going to the museum. When I was 10 mom and dad moved to small heath and had the Caledonian corks club they were happy times, but it has all changed not for the better .

townie

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2016, 12:58:27 PM »
Didn't the old Swan as I remember it had one of the longest bars in the country?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

jamesm

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2016, 01:22:48 PM »
I recall visiting the "new" Swan just after it opened and we drank in the gents only smokeroom which had the grand sounding name of The Highland Room and as it's name suggests was decorated in tartan wallpaper.
There were also some great gigs upstairs in the ballroom which when I went was always packed out. Happy days :)

frederick

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2016, 01:41:57 PM »
I used to go to the gigs up stairs on a Sunday lunch time. And when I lived in Sheldon my wife had a job for a while at the Swan.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy