Author Topic: Holy Trinity RC School  (Read 3149 times)

Manasseh

Holy Trinity RC School
« on: July 13, 2011, 05:02:45 PM »
Does anyone have any pictures/photos of Holy Trinity RC School, Small Heath back in the late 80's early 90's? I would appreciate any pictures. Thanks

Farm Park Dayz

Re: Holy Trinity RC School
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 04:10:17 PM »
Hi I haven't any photos of Holy Trinity School but I can remember the school as it was from 1976-1979 when I attended there.There was a nun who was the cookery teacher and very strict ( Sister Ava??) :-\

I think the science teacher was Mr Jones and we were incubating eggs for a new farm area to be developed at the rear of the new school area.
The P.E teacher was young Mr.Nowaski? We used to travel all the way To Highbury Park in Kings Heath on the yellow Bus as there were no playing fields at the school and we went to the new school at Muntz Street for Swimming Lessons.
We had a drama club with Mr.Murphy.There was alot of wasteland around the school.Which I walked past on my Journey from Erasmus road Kendal Road Farm Park and over Small Heath Bridge.
I was also at St.Annes School in the 1970's  :)
When we create harmony in our own minds and hearts,we will find it in our lives.The Inner creates the outer always :0)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 06:17:16 PM »
Hi Farm Park Dayz

I'm sorry I can't help with photos of Holy Trinity, but I don't think the main school has changed all that much today. I think they have added a couple of new blocks and opened the new farm area mentioned previously. It's a Media College now and having worked on the school I have to say in my opinion it is not as good as it once was.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Farm Park Dayz

Re: Holy Trinity RC School/sparkbrook memories
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 07:11:34 PM »
Thanks for that Phil changing the subject....do you know anything about the large church at Digbeth on the hill? I think It may have been used as a shelter for homeless people at a later date?
 as a child I lived in Kendal Road Sparkbrook opposite farm park (where I spent many happy days on my bike!)
our little gangs play areas at that time included ; The "bombpeck"  ;D  at the back of Thereasa Road down to the canal and then up to the derilict church at Digbeth which my friend said was haunted by vicar who had hung himself?!
I also played in derilict houses and shops (where we searched for "hidden treasure pennies under the floor boards of the old shops) and this is also where we used to jump into a big whole in the ground onto an old matress! and where we made dens in the alleyways at the top of Erasmus Road at the back of Hawleys bakery Factory and we played on the derilict Railway opposite the Bakery where we bought 1 penny bread rolls and cream cakes from the little shop at the side.
We still had a tin bath in 1972! and the tiny corner shop at the small heath bridge end of kendal road sold 1/4 bags of rainbow kaoli which gave you smokers fingers!
Oh what fun we had no health and safety in those days I know Ive got the scars to prove it!  ;D

When we create harmony in our own minds and hearts,we will find it in our lives.The Inner creates the outer always :0)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 08:37:52 PM »
Hi I can't tell you a lot about Holy Trinity Church as I am not a very religious person. I can tell you that it is a beautiful building that has been allowed to deteriorate over the last few years but that is nothing unusual for the money people in charge of churches is it?.

It has as you say been a hostel for homeless and destitute people until recently when the lease must have been sold on. As far as I understand it has become some sort of a community hall that where you can hire different rooms as to meet your requirements.

Yes I remember round the back of Hawley's, I used to do a bit of courting on the steps at the back of the institute and years later I was a regular in the Hereford at the top of Erasmus Rd. I also used to contract to Dennis  Ferrarin at Birmingham Art Flooring next door, and I'm still good friends with some of the sons of the blokes that worked there.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

walt00

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 02:40:18 PM »
Hi Phil
       When the Road was widened it was Gallaghers that did the work and the Front of Holy Trinty Church was part of the 2nd phase. We had to remove every body from the Burial Ground and transfer them to Brandwood End Cemetery in Kings Heath. It was all done under strict scrutiny of the Home Office. And it was the most depressing job ever undertaken by J.J.Gallagher it made quite a few men ill.
And some even refused to work on the site at all. And were treated sympathetically by J.J.Gallagher who was a staunch Catholic.
Wal.
W.H,Prottey

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 03:36:32 PM »
Walt

It was the same with the church at Aston when they widened the road there. I know a few of the lads who did a few shifts there cash in the hand (remember those days) because most of the regular work force didn't want to know. Not something I would have chose to do even if I were hard up.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

walt00

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 09:00:11 PM »
Agree with you there Phil not really a pleasant job to do. But you know the old saying. Somebody had to do it...
Walt00.
W.H,Prottey

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy