Author Topic: corner of Pershore Rd and Speedwell Rd Edgbaston photos  (Read 4385 times)

wanttoknow

corner of Pershore Rd and Speedwell Rd Edgbaston photos
« on: July 21, 2011, 12:05:22 PM »
Would anyone know if there are any old photos of this area before the synogogue was built in the early 1960's?

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: corner of Pershore Rd and Speedwell Rd Edgbaston photos
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 01:00:26 PM »
Hi there, welcome to the forum. I have been asked this question before and as I replied then the nearest I can get is the other side of the road and the Pershore Rd entrance of Calthorpe Park.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 02:48:56 PM »
Hi Wantoknow

If you are still about and looking for this photo, I came across this the other day. Just use the slide bar to see all of the photo if you have to.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wam

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 09:43:55 AM »
Would anyone know if there are any old photos of this area before the synogogue was built in the early 1960's?
I think there's a mistake here. According to http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22982#s3 this synagogue was built in 1948 not the early 60s. I think it was there when I came to Birmingham (1963) but I can't prove anything better.

charliewag

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 11:51:44 PM »
There may have been a Synagogue on the Pershore Road 1948, but the Synagogue standing there now was built in the 60s, I have forgot who the builder was but I was the charge hand who carried out all the asphalt below ground asphalt tanking on the site. At that time the construction industry work 4 hours on Saturday mornings but no working was allowed on the site and every after noon the Rabbi arrive and waited to make sure we all left the site before sunset.
I am not sure but I think there was a Synagogue Bromsgrove Street it was used till the new building was completed .

Charliwag
Don't Compare your life with Others--
You have No idea what their Journey is all about.

Epicentre

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 05:33:53 PM »
The synagogue at the corner of Pershore Road and Speedwell Road was built late 50's and consecrated in 1960. Previously, the Central synagogue had been in Bristol Street.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy