Author Topic: T W Storey - Case Makers  (Read 2441 times)

oldmangonewest

T W Storey - Case Makers
« on: January 08, 2012, 07:58:32 PM »
I came across this photo amongst my uncle's collection. Does anyone know the location or anything else about this company? As far as I know - it WAS somewhere in Birmingham.   

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: T W Storey - Case Makers
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 09:14:30 PM »
Hi oldmangonewest,

Welcome to the forum, I have looked through Kelly's Trade Directories for 1903. 1913. 1937. & 1950 and can find no trace of a W T Storey Packing Case Maker. I did find a William Thomas Storey in the pub trade at various pubs in 1903 and 1913 around the Highgate area of Birmingham.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

oldmangonewest

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 06:01:52 PM »
Many thanks Phil - this is very strange because my grandad did run a packing case making business at 205 Windsor Street - Nutting Bros Ltd and I assumed that this must have been linked somehow. Never mind - maybe the mystery will be solved one day!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 06:05:48 PM »
I'll try to get Mikejee to have a look at this for you, hes pretty good at sorting this sort of thing out.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 12:07:45 AM »
I have had a look and no luck . I looked at at  all the Birmingham directories i have for 1890-1949, and also the very few of that period from Sataffs, worcstershire & Warwickshire. Ther eis a bit of a gap between 1921 & 1932, where they could be, but, other than that i think they likely were outside Birmingham

oldmangonewest

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 07:05:07 PM »
Thanks very much for checking anyway. I was pretty much convinced that it must have been taken somewhere in Birmingham and, bearing in mind dates, that it would likely to have been around the early 20's into the 30's when my grandad's business would have operated - he died in 1943.
The only other possibility is that sometime after my grandmother died in 1928, he did have some links with people in Doncaster - maybe it was taken there. A mystery firm that maybe only someone named Storey may be able to answer!! Thank you once again.

oldmangonewest

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 07:22:13 PM »
Just as an afterthought - the firm next door looks to be called Phoenix Gas Mantles Ltd.....maybe that would help??

pickard.r

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »
Hi oldmangonewest

I,ve noticed the boxes on the cart in your picture have "Clever Mary" stamped on the side, I've found this picture on a web site which suggests that it was a hand cream made by Kiwi & available in Australia

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

oldmangonewest

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 10:10:07 PM »
Thank you very much Bobby! I'll bet that hand cream would have come in handy for those working on packing cases at the end of a hard day! ;D

pickard.r

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 07:54:53 AM »
Just as an afterthought - the firm next door looks to be called Phoenix Gas Mantles Ltd.....maybe that would help??

Take a look on this link,
http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=261004&search=phoenix+gas+mantles&images=&c=&s=

If this is the same company then your photo could well have been taken in Australia.

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

oldmangonewest

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 11:03:26 AM »
Well well...you've really opened up a new avenue of thought for me. I had assumed that because my grandad had a packing case business in Birmingham, that the photo must have been his. BUT, I do believe his older brother, Philip Nutting (born 1887) DID emigrate to Australia!!I have no other information about him other than he did return to England in the late 1930's because he was ill - it was assumed he came back here to die. I guess what you have said substantiates the very real probability that T W Storey was an Australian company. If so, I find it incredible that both my grandad and his brother Ernest had a packing case company in Birmingham and that his other brother Philip went to Australia and was also involved in that trade.....
I have no idea of the date Philip emigrated, so I guess I now need to find an Australian forum to see if anyone over there can shed anymore light!! Thank you so much for all your assistance - very much appreciated.
David

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy