Author Topic: Owen Street-- Bath Row  (Read 24361 times)

Mal

Owen Street-- Bath Row
« on: March 03, 2012, 09:31:04 AM »
Hi,anyone hail from this area of Birmingham 15

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Owen Street-- Bath Row
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »
Hi Mal

Welcome to the forum, I don't think we have anybody on the forum from the Lee Bank area, at least I have never heard anyone say they were. Quite a few of us know it reasonably well though, what era are we talking about.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Mal

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 12:45:25 PM »
Hi Phil,I was born in Bell Barn Road,1951,and from there moved to Owen St,before moving to Quinton 1968,went to St Thomas`s junior and infant,and the old St Thomas`s senior school,before it cloed and we all attended Lea Mason Secondary School after that,so my time period i suppose would be the Mid 50`s to the late 60`s. Regards Mal

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 01:00:18 PM »
Hi again Mal

You would have no trouble recognising these scenes then?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Mal

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:32:18 PM »
Hi again Phil the first photo , to the extreme right of the picture is some waste ground,and half way up that waste ground on the left hand side immediately behind the row of houses is the house i was born in..never thought i would see that piece of bombed ground again.my mom and dad squatted in that house after he came out of the army in 1949,because the council said they han`nt accumulated enough points.  mal

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 04:20:12 PM »
Hi Mal

We had quite a lively discussion on this forum a few months back about squatting where I raised the point of how it was the only way some people could get houses just after the war.

Anyway here are what would be some more familiar sights to you. have you been down that way at all in recent times? It certainly has changed of late.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Mal

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 04:31:32 PM »
Hi Phil,went to Ullyses restuarant some weeks ago,and took my partner and my 21 year old youngest daughter with me,showed them where i grew up.could`nt believe how its changed.after working away for most of my life,ie the Army for 12 yrs and BBC for 25yrs,its only when i came to working in Birmingham,i realised how much my City had changed.will show my 84yr old Mother your pics when she comes for lunch tommorrow.many thanks Phil.  Mal

jimmy

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 06:40:51 PM »
hi i grew up in lee bank in the 70s .i went to STcathrines from 1971 i lived in dorking grove .i had a great childhood there,its hard to find anybody from that era on line .jimmy

marshey

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 07:23:16 PM »
Wow - just registered and then viewed the pictures of Bell Barn Road/Lee Bank!!  memories came flooding back.  I lived in Lee Mount/Lee Crescent, off Lee Bank Road and went to Summer Road infant/junior school before transferring to St Thomas`s senior, and left in 1952 age 15.  Anyone remember the Marshes - John, Margaret and Barbara?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 08:04:52 PM »
Hi Marshy

Welcome to you, I could never work out why they demolished the houses on Lee Mount but managed to renovate those on Lee Crescent.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

marshey

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 08:19:46 PM »
We lived at number 4 Lee Mount and we were re-housed to Shard End in 1952, when they demolished Lee Mount.  I had just 6 months to do before I left school (St Thomas`s).  I`m Margaret by the way, my brother John was 4 years older, now sadly passed away, and my sister Barbara is 2 years younger than me.  My best friend, Beryl Glenn lived in Lee Crescent, another friend, Brenda Castle in Bell Barn Road.  Do these names ring any bells?
The houses left standing in Lee Crescent are listed buildings which explains why they are still there.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy