Author Topic: Birmingham Trams  (Read 62683 times)

mike mancott

Re: Birmingham Trams
« Reply #187 on: September 04, 2021, 10:28:22 PM »
Hello Mike
You could be right. Did you turn out to wave goodbye to the last tram on your route.
What route did the Fox and Goose tram when it came out from the town.
Do you remember the noise the trams could make and getting the pole connected.
Great time for us great kids. We never killed anyone and did as we were told, Most times.
Hospital went well. Everything looks good. The ambulance driver took wrong turn and we went up the Preseli mountains.
Take care. Lot to chat about regarding train station. It was in good condition. Beautiful wood, well looked after.
Gerald.

Hello Gerald
Most of the trams on the 10 route in my day had bow collectors not poles.
But not long before the route closed a few older trams were sent to Washwood Heath depot and these had poles.
Some of these upper decks were open ended and the seats there were bagged by schoolkids.
I think no 10 when it went from Martineau Street, travelled Corporation Street, James Watt Street, Ashted Row, past Duddeston (mill?) station, Saltley viaduct, Washwood Heath Road to Fox and Goose. 
Mike

1malcolm1

« Reply #188 on: September 05, 2021, 10:27:27 AM »

I did think, as I was dropping off to sleep last night, that I was wrong about lower Bull Street. The 8 and 10 turned off Corporation Street, to the right down a hill past a dairy, I think I remember, before facing city-bound trams in Ashted Row. I don`t remember the 7 or 9. I understood about trams not using New Street.

to remember the 7 you got to be very old lol ,finished 1922 then became a trolley bus ,9 was a short working of the 10,,to confuse route 10 more ,was it had the 61,62 as well, 61 saltley rd/washwoodheath rd to 10 terminus ,62 bloomsbury st /.saltley rd to 10 terminus,
and the 61,62 also was used on route 8 to alum rock

1malcolm1

« Reply #189 on: September 05, 2021, 10:41:22 AM »
bow collectors where used as poles could jump off the line, and bow collectors  put less wear on the overhead as they could move if  wire was not straight along st trolley poles had to follow the wire  ,just like bows on the railways ,overheads on railways are not completely  straight ,but for a different reason ,to stop wearing a groove on  bow

mike mancott

« Reply #190 on: September 05, 2021, 10:46:52 AM »
bow collectors where used as poles could jump off the line, and bow collectors  put less wear on the overhead as they could move if  wire was not straight along st trolley poles had to follow the wire  ,just like bows on the railways ,overheads on railways are not completely  straight ,but for a different reason ,to stop wearing a groove on  bow

That`s groovy, Malcolm. I didn`t know that about the overheads on the railways.
Occasionally, a conductor on the tram would forget to reposition the pole at the terminus.
As the tram moved off, there would soon be a loud bang and flash, and the pole would jump off the wire.

1malcolm1

« Reply #191 on: September 05, 2021, 11:10:26 AM »
some trolley buses had 2 poles live and return that is why you see 2 wires side by side ,,no tram track to earth out ,if tram track was there could use tram wire (bow) and track to earth out or neutral,  London trams where  more complicated  overheads and skates ,(a middle groove running in centre of track and was very a hands on thing to do ,had to have a skate man to put them in place ,but could be thrown by a moving tram  when removing them   )as some places did not want wires put up

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: September 05, 2021, 03:42:31 PM »
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

mike mancott

« Reply #193 on: September 05, 2021, 07:59:21 PM »
some trolley buses had 2 poles live and return that is why you see 2 wires side by side ,,no tram track to earth out ,if tram track was there could use tram wire (bow) and track to earth out or neutral,  London trams where  more complicated  overheads and skates ,(a middle groove running in centre of track and was very a hands on thing to do ,had to have a skate man to put them in place ,but could be thrown by a moving tram  when removing them   )as some places did not want wires put up

I believe trolley buses used skates to get back to Washwood Heath depot when they were housed there for a while (during WW2?) and the skates had to be shielded to avoid enemy aircraft seeing flashes.

mike mancott

« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2021, 12:36:05 PM »

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: September 07, 2021, 02:04:45 PM »

Super clip that. Thank you roy.
Mike

your welcome

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #196 on: September 07, 2021, 02:15:08 PM »
you might like this one to turn your sound up

https://youtu.be/dhxSzqP7mtI

1malcolm1

« Reply #197 on: September 07, 2021, 06:02:38 PM »

I believe trolley buses used skates to get back to Washwood Heath depot when they were housed there for a while (during WW2?) and the skates had to be shielded to avoid enemy aircraft seeing flashes.

yes as it was single wire ,skate was the neutral

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy