Author Topic: Kitts Green, Lea Village and Glebe Farm  (Read 55872 times)

townie

Re: Kitts Green, Lea Village and Glebe Farm
« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2019, 09:10:47 PM »
Hi Sid I knew the Sales as well as I knew the Collins and Bagshaw's just mates 50 years ago. Nicknames only that I remember now Jimbo, Jumbo, Omo, Boogie. There were lots of others but the names I have now forgot. I used to work with Omo Collins on Stechford Fair. All of them from Lea Village and me from Shard End makes you think as we hated each other not because who they were, but because where they come from.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

mw0njm

« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2019, 07:21:20 PM »
Dave do you remember the Sails, Bagshaws and Collins's from Lee village. My first wife her relative married Sambo Sail. and I used to work with ohmo Collins on the fair.
         yer i knew the sails. bought a few things off him in the cb days.

townie

« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2019, 09:56:25 PM »
Pete looks like you have been around the same haunts as me, sorry if ive asked this before but what school did you go to?

Sidecarsid

« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2019, 06:44:11 AM »
Hi Townie,
Did you know any of these so called hard cases, Gary Ford aka Raza Ford or Micky Bishop, and Bob Jordan?
I know for a fact that Raza Ford was an alcoholic and had his nose put out of shape by the 18 year old son of the gaffer of the Marston Green Tavern Fred Hodgkins. He refused to leave when requested to do so Martin knocked his face out of shape. I was there to witness it.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2019, 08:11:19 AM »
Could I just issue a little warning here, can poster take care what personal information they post concerning people that still may be alive today, especially if they post that information without their permission. The forum does not accept responsibility for any such information posted to the forum. If you want to name people and you do not have their permission then please do it via the messaging system.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2019, 08:34:16 AM »
Hi Sid.
No can't recall any of the names, but there again the Marston Green Tavern was never one of my locals. If ive been in it twice that's it. What year are you talking about and were these lads off the wood? 

mw0njm

« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2019, 05:32:46 PM »
Pete looks like you have been around the same haunts as me, sorry if ive asked this before but what school did you go to?
st.clements infants,bloomsbury junior, elliot st sec mod.we lived in shard end. from 1967 till 1999,

townie

« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2019, 09:09:59 PM »
st.clements infants,bloomsbury junior, elliot st sec mod.we lived in shard end. from 1967 till 1999,

Pete. Don't know whether you want to continue on the Shard End thread as we are a bit off topic. 60 to 77 I lived there.

Sidecarsid

« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2019, 05:24:30 AM »
Hi Townie.
All I can say to your question is, that these two lads, the two taller guys came from Lea Village while the shorter one lived in Burleton rd off Haywood rd next to the little church on the corner.Did you use the White Hart on the corner of East Meadway & Gressle Lane. I used to live in Briddsland Rd, and during the winter months if the weather was too cold I would go around the corner and have a few beers in the White Hart, on a week-end it could get jam packed with all the Irish on their way home from Sunday morning mass, my old man who was also a Paddy was doing double over- time, although he did go during Christmas. Being the son of a good Cat-lick family I went to Archie Williams senior school on the East Meadway, opposite the row of shops.While at Archies I knew four lads from Shard-End, One lived in an end terrace house across Timberly Lane from the Castle Cinema while the other three lived along what I think was School Lane. One of these four was a smaller guy who made up for his lack of height with his fists.

Sidecarsid

« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2019, 06:15:47 AM »
Hi MWONJM.

When the family first moved to Tile Cross in late 1953, (Can't possibly forget that date because of that young woman from that big house in London got clobbered, I hear somebody crowned her? (Mentioning no names).
It was later that same year that we moved in, as this area was a new up and coming place, I had to travel by Midland Red to St Thomas Moore's junior & infants school in Horse Shoes Lane Sheldon, I was then just about in the juniors, then when I was eleven I went to Arch Bishop Williams School in East Meadway. I left when I was still fourteen, this was because by the time of the next term I would have been fifteen. While still at this school I knew a girl called Lorna Norris,  her dad was a well known Isle of Man TT racer Ken Norris who Lorna introduced me to. He fostered my interest in motorcycle racing. I started as a Sidecar passenger and was featured in Blue Peter when John Noaks had a go as a passenger during a North Gloucester motor cycle Racing club during the Easter week-end. 

townie

« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2019, 02:38:30 PM »
Hi Sid. I used the White Hart a lot in the 70s. I used to go out with a girl who lived on Tile Cross Road, nice pub as I remember.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy