Author Topic: Wheelers Lane Boys School  (Read 17146 times)

Barmad

Wheelers Lane Boys School
« on: May 04, 2012, 11:20:52 AM »
 Hello all

I wonder if anyone can help…
I’m the Librarian at Wheelers Lane Technology College (formerly WL Boys School [secondary]) and I’ve been charged with sourcing material for an upcoming project we’re running shortly with some of our students about the history of the school.
Has anybody any relevant information/memories/photographs that would be of interest?
Thanks in advance.
Barry

Barmad

Re: Wheelers Lane Boys School
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »
Anyone? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 12:28:02 PM »
Barmad

Sorry but it looks like we don't have any old boys from Wheelers Lane as members of the forum.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Frank90

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 04:28:28 PM »
Barry,

Just saw this forum (randomly!) and thought I'd register to see if you were still looking for any history from ex-students.

I attended the school between 1990 and 1995 when it was Wheelers Lane Boys School, and can share lots of memories from that era if you're still in need of them.

Happy to help

Frank

pickard.r

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 05:31:53 PM »
I've mentioned a couple of times in the past that I went to Brandwood Secondary & remember Wheelers Lane being our arch rivals at virtually every sports competition.....

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

planetmalc

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 04:54:39 PM »
Back in the 50's, the Birmingham Grammar Schools Cross-Country League was short of teams, and Wheeler's Lane was one of 3 non-grammar schools (the other 2 were Raddlebarn Road and Turves Green) to be invited to join.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Old Boy

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 01:24:04 PM »
Interesting to read your post. I went to Wheelers Lane Secondary Modern Boys from 1953-1957, the Head Master at that time was Mr North. When I went there there was no opportunity to obtain any qualifications at all. During the my last year myself and three other pupils were chosen to sit for a special exam called the UEI, Union of Education Certificate, which incidentally I've never heard of since…. We all passed the exams in English, Maths and Metal Work but these qualifications had no bearings on our future employment. What it did do was to give the Head Masters and teachers confidence that they could teach boys of our age to achieve.

A major interest at the school was sport, the football team always did well, the rugby team in 1956-57 won every game that they played. The track and field events, particularly sprinting was second to none.

Looking back I realise Secondary Modern schools were educating us for employment nothing more than 'factory fodder' and labourers. One of the boys in my class wanted to be a vet or work with animals and the careers officer said that he'd got him a job lined up for an interview at Wards Engineering as a capstan operator and that summed up the whole outlook for the type of employment for fifteen year old boys.

As I recall the school was built just before the second world war, 1939, so was a comparatively modern building when I attended, unfortunately there were that many boys there that my first year class was annexed in rooms at the back of a church the other end of Kings Heath. I can never remember less than 45 pupils in a class.

I could go on, but there's a few of my memories. Hope it's of use.

Regards Baz

Spud

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 01:44:34 PM »
Hi Barmad
Although I did not attend Wheelers Lane. I am fairly certain that Wheelers Ln does have a claim to fame . I seem to remember that Bob Latchford the Birmingham City ,Everton and England Centre forward attended Wheelers Ln. His brother David may also have attended he too played for Birmingham City in Goal.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

lutleyyeltz

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 06:55:48 PM »
I attended the Infants & Juniors at Wheeler's Lane between 1945 - 50. There was a much feared teacher in the Secondary Modern named Mr Gulcher - a real tyrant, apparently. I think it was the prospect of being in his presence that probably spurred me on to pass the 11+ and go to KNGS.

Paul2009

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 06:03:47 PM »
I attended Wheelers Lane Boys from 1971-1976.Loads of great memories,still mates with many who live all over UK,Canada and USA.Most did well even if it wasn't very accademik!Sports was the highlight of this school.We won many trophies at football,cricket, and athletics.Have photos and memories if required,be quick,I forget more on a daily basis!Paul

Phil Davidson

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 07:09:31 PM »
If it's not too late….
One of my brothers was at Wheelers Lane, probably from 1960 to 1964.
He joined the Royal Navy shortly after leaving the school, and had a decent career, particularly from a technology point of view.
Are you still interested ?

Phil.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy