Author Topic: Wheelers Lane Boys School  (Read 17142 times)

baz

Re: Wheelers Lane Boys School
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 10:09:30 AM »
Good morning each !

I'm new to the forum and was unsure where to make a start.

However, I went to WLS, leaving at the end of '55.

I remember a lot of the teachers mentioned and am interested to see that several blokes found Goulcher to have been a tyrant, (German Jew, wasn't he ?). I remember we gave the poor feller a dog's life, maybe we caused his change of character !

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 10:18:18 AM »
Hi

I just wanted to welcome all the new members on this thread to the forum, I'm afraid I can't join in the conversation as I know nothing whatsoever about Wheelers Lane School. I'm glad to see some of you renew old acquaintances and relive some old memories, that is what this section of the forum is all about.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

locum999

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2017, 10:20:03 AM »
Just 5 years too late. But I started at Wheelers lane in 1958/9 infants all the the six form, headmaster, Mr. PRobert , until leaving in 1972, from the six form. In the juniors I was two years at the annexe.  Senior school was good.  Most of the teachers had been in the war. The headmaster had a gown and morter.

If this is too late. Sorry

maltablue

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2017, 11:28:45 AM »
Got my Cycling Proficiency Badge, there in the 6o's.
Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

AUDRAREP

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2017, 02:12:08 PM »
I attended Wheelers Lane Boys School from 1980-1985 and the staff as I recall was as follows: Mr Griffiths (Headmaster), Mr Rough aka ‘Daddy Rough’ (Deputy Head), Mr Ward and Mr ‘Taffy’ Roberts (P.E.), Mr Lacey (Chemistry), Mr Millward (Physics), Mr Goldstein (Biology), Mr Hobbs and Mr Ball aka ‘Uncle Jack’ (Maths), Mr Kirkby (Geography), Mr Evans (Woodwork and Rugby), Mr Clayton (Technical Drawing), Mrs Chris Keats, Mr Anney and Mr Whitby aka ‘Buzzard’ (History), Mr Judges (Art), the beautiful Mrs Parker (French), Mrs Stevens (Music), Mr Goulding (English Literature), Mrs Hodgkins I think (Pottery), the lovely Miss Mathews (Contextual Studies I think), there was also Mr Watling, Mr Branif, Mr Hewit and a strange man named Cobbledick! I forget who took us for R.E. Computer Studies and Metalwork. The caretaker was a horrible little man named Wilkins!

Barry

blowfishbob

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2018, 11:20:56 AM »
I attended Wheelers Lane Boys School from 1980-1985 and the staff as I recall was as follows: Mr Griffiths (Headmaster), Mr Rough aka ‘Daddy Rough’ (Deputy Head), Mr Ward and Mr ‘Taffy’ Roberts (P.E.), Mr Lacey (Chemistry), Mr Millward (Physics), Mr Goldstein (Biology), Mr Hobbs and Mr Ball aka ‘Uncle Jack’ (Maths), Mr Kirkby (Geography), Mr Evans (Woodwork and Rugby), Mr Clayton (Technical Drawing), Mrs Chris Keats, Mr Anney and Mr Whitby aka ‘Buzzard’ (History), Mr Judges (Art), the beautiful Mrs Parker (French), Mrs Stevens (Music), Mr Goulding (English Literature), Mrs Hodgkins I think (Pottery), the lovely Miss Mathews (Contextual Studies I think), there was also Mr Watling, Mr Branif, Mr Hewit and a strange man named Cobbledick! I forget who took us for R.E. Computer Studies and Metalwork. The caretaker was a horrible little man named Wilkins!

Barry

Apologies if this post is a little late, but I can concur to the quote.

Mrs Stevens was from memory Scottish and lived on Swanshurst Lane, the only reason I know this is I used to deliver the free newspaper ABC to her house., I believe at one stage she took the french class.
Mr Hewitt was also the English teacher, he took a group of lads to see Eddie Kidd at Worcester racecourse, me being one of them, he was a session drummer and would often bring his drums into school to practice, when he was practicing, he had this strange facial expression, almost like he was gurning, getting right into it. He was a perculiar chap, he thought it was completely normal to shower at end of PE times, in their own shower, but waltz around completely naked around boys who were getting dressed.
Mr Lacey was from the West Country, always wore his lab overalls, he would often shout my surname out incorrectly and send me out the class for talking, but I did like him.
Looking at the past posts, you can see that Mr Rough had been the deputy a long time, always the bridesmaid never the bride, but I believe, there was a different head master later on, my time was 1977-1982
There was a few other teachers not mentioned, but I am struggling to remember the names, I am sure there was a teacher called Mr Grice, who took English and drama(great teacher), there was a teacher, that was called cat-weasel, he had allegedly impregnated one of the teachers and was caught in the act in the library, they made a quick disappearing act, but he had blond hair, remember him throwing a board rubber at a pupil and it completely missing the one aimed for and hitting a innocent pupil.
The metalwork teacher, I cannot remember his name, but he had an issue with coughing, so pupils would purposely fart, to get him to cough, it often ended up him lying down on the workbench to recover, I made a beautiful ornate tankard that I vowed to go and fetch, but never did.
Mr Ward, was spotless and tanned, like Mr Hewitt, Taffy was a little bully, he would lift the hair up on your sideburns to get you to tiptoe in pain, but it was good fun playing the senior football match against the teachers and not losing, Taffy hated that.
Mrs Parker the French teacher started when I was there, she lived on Springfield Road, I passed her house when she was coming out, I unset her at final exam time when I missed one French exam, should would not accept that I have missed it by accident, even when I showed her my schedule and it was not on there.
Mr Hobbs was a proper teacher from old, ex RAF, ex Policeman, he stood for not messing about, but there were very lighter sides to his nature, I liked him.
When I hear 'Rainbow's -  I surrender' on the radio, I instinctively think of the slave labour we had to do at Sharpness - Bristol, a school trip working holiday, we learned how to pebbledash walls.

I hope this helps you all.

Tt1983

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2021, 08:51:57 PM »
Does anyone know Tommy Scott

blowfishbob

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2021, 01:11:52 AM »
Does anyone know Tommy Scott

I knew a Tommy Scott, I went out with his sister Janet, there was another brother, I cannot recollect his name.
They used to live in Capcroft Road Billesley, but they moved over to Kings Heath, possibly Pineapple Road way years ago.
I think Tommy did attend Wheelers Lane for a short time, he was a nice lad with very big hands.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy