Author Topic: Images of the City  (Read 14478 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Images of the City
« on: June 05, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »
Some old images of the old Central Library before it was demolished to make way for the new structure which is now being replaced once again.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Images of the City
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 04:40:27 PM »
A couple more images of the old Library
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

trapio

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 08:28:04 PM »
A beautiful building that I recall from the 50s - why was it demolished...palm greased vandalism, for ''my mates' '' contracts?
Integrity is non negotiable

cocacolakid

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »
Some old images of the old Central Library before it was demolished to make way for the new structure which is now being replaced once again.

It looks a great place, Phil, I regret not going in it when I was a young brummie  :(   I used the one on the Mosely Rd, next to the baths.
                                                                                                                                                         Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 01:45:03 PM »
A photo of the aftermath that burnt the central library to the ground not long after it opened, plus another couple of photos of the interior.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 01:46:38 PM »
Now a photo of the building that replaced the old library and a mock up of the one that is going to replace that building.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 02:10:05 PM »
Phil..

I don't think much of what the new library looks like, we have an abortion of a new library in Worcester, too.   :'(

Malc.

pickard.r

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 10:34:33 PM »
Phil..

I don't think much of what the new library looks like, we have an abortion of a new library in Worcester, too.   :'(

Malc.

Hi Malc

I posted a photo of Worcester's new library some time ago & agree with you that it is a terrible looking building.....

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

cocacolakid

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 10:51:45 AM »
Hi Malc

I posted a photo of Worcester's new library some time ago & agree with you that it is a terrible looking building.....

Bobby

Bobby..

I didn't see your picture, but anyway, I think the new Worcester library sticks out like a sore thumb. There will be those who dissagree of course.  I guess we all see things differently, but I am with you and many others on this one.  I think the new B,ham Central Library and the Worcester one will be a source of discussion and arguement for years to come.

Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 12:08:12 PM »
The First Birmingham Municipal library was built on land purchased by the Council from The Birmingham Midland Institute. Who were already building their institute which was to include a public library it was decided that they would enjoin to build the one public library. The BMI had engaged E.M.Barry to design the library but the Council said that he was too expensive so William Martin was chosen to design all but the frontage.

The library opened in 1865, but in 1879 whilst building an extension to the library a fire broke destroying the library and 50,000 reference books. The library was rebuilt by Martin & Chamberlain and reopened in 1882. The inside was fitted out with all the usual Victorian elegance.

By the late 30’s the library had become too small to house all the books that were needed and the building of a new library was authorised but it wasn’t until the late 60’s when the building of a new inner ring road forced the closure and demolition of this Victorian Gem.

The last couple of images of the old Central Library.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

greenbrummie

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 11:53:26 PM »
A couple more images of the old Library
Truly amazing pictures.   Central library told me a couple of years ago that no pics of interior existed    The interior is just as I remembered from 1952ish.    It was a wonderland of light to me  and a place to just sit ,muse  and escape the world,having caught the no 1 busin the opposite direction from school      Does any one else remember going inside.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy