Author Topic: Old photos of Kings Heath  (Read 188976 times)

Graham

Re: Old photos of Kings Heath
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 11:31:34 PM »

preddy1

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 05:00:48 PM »
I think the off licence must have been on of them as you are not the first person to mention the yellow stone cladding.
No images of Silver street on link but thanks guys,

Tony

Graham

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 09:12:46 PM »
Perdy, try giving Tommy Godwin a call, he had a cycle shop in Silver Street for most of his life, I think he must be 80 odd now but still got all his marbles. (phone N° in PM) Give him my regards.

Graham.

Jacqueline

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 10:27:07 PM »
Another idea is to keep an eye on ebay in the vintage postcards section. I have saved a number of images that have interested me. A bit naughty i know but it soon builds up into an interesting collection.

Colin B

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 05:30:46 PM »
Hi everyone,this is my first posting on this forum I see many names I recognise from the BHWR forum,so I feel I'm already amongst friends.

Preedy1 there is a photo in Barrie Geens book "From King's Heath to the Country" taken from the Alcester Road end looking up Silver Street showing the shops (including Tommy Godwins) and in the distance the houses in the area you want.I must admit though it's not of a high quality but may be better than nothing.There are also some photo's of the fire station in Silver Street which would have been just about opposite the cottages you mention.
You might also like to visit my website Kings Heath B14,which has a small piece on Silver Street. Please note it is still under construction. Feel free to contact me via the site if you think I can help more.

http://www.bhamb14.co.uk

Colin
Kings Heath History
www.bhamb14.co.uk

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 06:15:46 PM »
Hello Colin B,

Welcome to the Birmingham Forum, I don't think you will find it as calm and sedate as the BHWR, but you will make a welcome addition to our merry band, though few in number we are big in heart (or head I can never remember which). Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 06:23:36 PM »
colin b,

welcome, the photos are good they bring back memories
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Graham

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 06:41:29 PM »
Hi everyone,this is my first posting on this forum I see many names I recognise from the BHWR forum,so I feel I'm already amongst friends.

Hi Colin,

I am surprised to see that you've found your way to us 'old farts'! I guess I am one those you recognize, as I'm on here using my own name. A lot of us on here have the same roots in Brum, not too far from Kings Heath. Frederick is a cousin of mine from Sparkbrook, but we haven't seen each other in a lifetime, he found me on the web.

Anyway welcome,  O0 I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay.

john2000

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 08:57:06 PM »
I always thought it was the Nr 19 that was the outer circle, and not the 11a,? I know the inner circle was the Nr 8, ( that used to run down belgrave Rd,) but it's in black and white, ( maybe they changed it later,).?   John 2000
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

preddy1

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
Cheers for that Colin b. I will check it out and am so pleased that you have replied. It's great being a Brummie!
Tony.

mazbeth

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 06:25:42 PM »
Hi Colin,

I am surprised to see that you've found your way to us 'old farts'!
excuse me! The board is not totally comprised of old blokes ;D (even if it seems like it)
There are some of us mature, but still beautiful 8) and interesting women surviving on here  ;) :D

welcome Colin  :)

John, I think the 11 has been the outer circle for quite a while...I know I'm still a young 'un, (only 40 something...heading rapidly for 50 something though :-[), but I used to get the 11 from 1970 to take me to school in Erdington.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy