Author Topic: Shard End  (Read 316806 times)

GardenGerald

Re: Shard End
« Reply #1177 on: July 15, 2021, 09:33:22 PM »
Hello GW
Th Beaufort was at the Fox and Goose. The Capital was at the Pelham. We used to visit Ward End Park and
the River Cole at Coleshill.
Did you ever get on Bromford Race Course.
Gerald
Remember to wash the sheep tonight.

Gwladmab

« Reply #1178 on: July 15, 2021, 09:34:49 PM »
Hello
The trams terminated at the fox and goose and before a bus service we all did a lot of walking. We used to walk to Shard End
to talk to the soldiers and meet some girls. Those of us from Castle Bromwich use to get together with a group of local girls and go out together on Sundays. We went to Castle Bromwich hall to get Bluebells for our mothers. We were a great group of friends, never any trouble.
Do you remember the farm with Shire Horses in Castle Bromwich. I remember an estate, Kingshurst being build and
 that caused some problems. Pigs Bottom now has a Crem.
Great days and great memories but the last 50 years in Wales has been great. Land was cheaper to buy
Lets hear from you all.
Gerald..
GG There was a pub near the Bailey Bridge called The Raven, over the Bailey bridge you were in Shard End. Fairly quiet pub if I remember correctly. I don’t remember pigs bottom, but I do remember Bacons End. Is that one and the same thing? I walked up there with my dad on a Sunday morning to see the pigs. I can still see them now covered in mud....

Gwladmab

« Reply #1179 on: July 15, 2021, 09:44:34 PM »
Hello GW
Th Beaufort was at the Fox and Goose. The Capital was at the Pelham. We used to visit Ward End Park and
the River Cole at Coleshill.
Did you ever get on Bromford Race Course.
Gerald
Remember to wash the sheep tonight.
GG, never went to the race course. I’ve fished in the Blyth in Colshill, never that good at it, just got board sitting there. Do you remember when they built Kingshurst there was a lake, near Cooks Lane side of the estate. I think folks would miss it if you didn't know it was there as it’s well hidden. I think the Cole runs through it.

Sheep are well tucked up in bed. It won’t be long though before we have to wash their faces and fluff up their fleeces for the Breeding Ewe Sale in October.....

Don’t forget to take your wellies off before you get into bed  O0

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #1180 on: July 16, 2021, 10:06:51 AM »
Gw. What years did you fish in the BLYTHE in Coleshill. ME and GG where there in the early 50s with our Minnow Bottles and Cray fishing. Good Times.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

mike mancott

« Reply #1181 on: July 16, 2021, 12:02:44 PM »
Hello
The trams terminated at the fox and goose and before a bus service we all did a lot of walking. We used to walk to Shard End
to talk to the soldiers and meet some girls. Those of us from Castle Bromwich use to get together with a group of local girls and go out together on Sundays. We went to Castle Bromwich hall to get Bluebells for our mothers. We were a great group of friends, never any trouble.
Do you remember the farm with Shire Horses in Castle Bromwich. I remember an estate, Kingshurst being build and
 that caused some problems. Pigs Bottom now has a Crem.
Great days and great memories but the last 50 years in Wales has been great. Land was cheaper to buy
Lets hear from you all.
Gerald..

The number 10 trams, Gerald, as you say, terminated at the "Fox and Goose", which was in Ward End (Birmingham 8), as was the Beaufort Cinema. They were thought, by many people, including me for a long time, as I was growing up near there, to be in Washwood Heath. The reason for this is, probably, because the trams` destination blinds were never altered after the line was extended from Washwood Heath tram depot, firstly to Ward End (by Sladefield Road), and then later to the "Fox and Goose". The buses destination blinds continued to display this misinformation.
I believe it was planned in 1938/9 to continue the track along Coleshill Road as far as the city boundary, but WW2 curtailed this. Buses eventually reached this destination.
Mike

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #1182 on: July 16, 2021, 12:05:46 PM »
Thank God for the MIDLAND RED BUSES

Gwladmab

« Reply #1183 on: July 16, 2021, 02:11:31 PM »

The number 10 trams, Gerald, as you say, terminated at the "Fox and Goose", which was in Ward End (Birmingham 8) , as was the Beaufort Cinema. They were thought, by many people, including me for a long time, as I was growing up near there, to be in Washwood Heath. The reason for this is, probably, because the trams` destination blinds were never altered after the line was extended from Washwood Heath tram depot, firstly to Ward End (by Sladefield Road), and then later to the "Fox and Goose". The buses destination blinds continued to display this misinformation.
I believe it was planned in 1938/9 to continue the track along Coleshill Road as far as the city boundary, but WW2 curtailed this. Buses eventually reached this destination.
Mike
Hello Ed, I think it was about 69-70 we fished up there. Ride our bikes from Chelmsley Wood, rods tied to the crossbar. I can’t remember who we paid to fish and was it a Trent licence that was needed? Very happy days. I loved getting out in the countryside for a few hours.

It’s great to see kids still doing the bottle way of catching fish. My kids on a summers day would walk down through our wood to the river to fish, swim and they had a rubber dinghy at one time.

My granddaughter is at the right age, so perhaps this summer we’ll take a walk to the river together.

GardenGerald

« Reply #1184 on: July 17, 2021, 06:48:49 PM »
Hello Everyone
Us young people from Shard End and Castle Bromwich always seemed to get on well. We kept away from Kingshurst because some there were very rough. Did you ever go to the NEC. We were looking to raise money in Castle Bromwich So went to Look at THE Harlem Globe Trotters.
From that  The Tinkerbelle Tornadoes.were born .Great days, great people.
Take care and chat again soon My mate Mike can come out of slumbers and join in. Ed tell everyone about the great days we had with nothing in our pockets.
Gerald

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #1185 on: July 17, 2021, 09:15:51 PM »
Gerald. It would take to long to tell. I'd be fighting PEG for writing space.

Him and his love stories ::) ::)

Gwladmab

« Reply #1186 on: July 17, 2021, 09:25:44 PM »
Hello Everyone
Us young people from Shard End and Castle Bromwich always seemed to get on well. We kept away from Kingshurst because some there were very rough. Did you ever go to the NEC. We were looking to raise money in Castle Bromwich So went to Look at THE Harlem Globe Trotters.
From that  The Tinkerbelle Tornadoes.were born .Great days, great people.
Take care and chat again soon My mate Mike can come out of slumbers and join in. Ed tell everyone about the great days we had with nothing in our pockets.
Gerald
I remember the NEC being built, went there a few times in the 70/80’s doing a bit on the custom car scene. The main thing I remember about the NEC was the state of the Coventry Rd for what seemed like years. Mud up to my axles....

Alan67

« Reply #1187 on: August 25, 2021, 03:45:21 PM »
Hello all.  Just tumbled across this site and seen a few pictures of my old school - Alderlea Boys - and of myself and my old classmates . Where have all the years gone I ask myself !
I can fill [size=78%]In a few missing names on the class pictures but am not sure how it all works on here yet . But am sure I will find out & add some names when I know more. [/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]Hello to John Read, the author on the pictures …. Regards Alan Lewis [/size]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy