Author Topic: Shard End  (Read 317787 times)

Gwladmab

Re: Shard End
« Reply #1188 on: August 25, 2021, 05:32:38 PM »
Hello all.  Just tumbled across this site and seen a few pictures of my old school - Alderlea Boys - and of myself and my old classmates . Where have all the years gone I ask myself !
I can fill [size=78%]In a few missing names on the class pictures but am not sure how it all works on here yet . But am sure I will find out & add some names when I know more. [/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]Hello to John Read, the author on the pictures …. Regards Alan Lewis [/size]

Hello Alan67 and welcome to the forum. Which years were you at Alderlea? I was there from 1968.

daveyboy

« Reply #1189 on: August 27, 2022, 11:57:48 AM »
Hi all
Just cam across this after seeing a picture of the harlequin Pub! I grew up in school lane in the 60s and 70s

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1190 on: August 27, 2022, 12:04:27 PM »
hi  dave welcome to the forum roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

daveyboy

« Reply #1191 on: August 27, 2022, 12:45:07 PM »
I remember that coach crash!! I lived in school Lane and had come home for lunch from Brownmead and my mom had fell and broken her leg so had to go to the Chemist on an errand and walked passed it!! I believe when they dragged it out it left  a score mark in the road where the front wheel was dragged

Johnrolandevans

« Reply #1192 on: September 02, 2022, 05:15:13 PM »
I've just dug these out of the attic.  Amazed to find most of the names written on the back.   Apologies to the names I couldn't remember.

Form 3A1  -  1968 ?

Back Row:    David Bowden.  Jimmy McKercher.  Robert Milne. David Sheldon.  Steven Langford.  John Montgomery.  Gary Griffith.
Middle Top:  Glen Weaver. Alan Lewis.  John Reynolds ?  Anthony Dodd.  David Clifton.   Keith Kimberley.   John Read (me)
Middle Bottom:  Colin Petts. Alan Ward.  Keith Hatfield.  ??? ?.  Peter Davis.  Derek Hands.  Peter Turner. 
Front:  Derek Purton.   ??? ?.    David Goody.  Leslie Morris.   ??? ?.   Philip Appleby.  ??? ?. 
Teacher = Mr Ellis.

Hi John, I know your post is a few years old now but I've just found it after a bit of nostalgia led browsing. Anyway, I can supply at least one of the missing/forgotten names: that of my own - John Evans; I appear third from the right on the bottom row of the 3A1 pic and second from right on the bottom row of the 4E1 photo. The chap to my left on the 3A1 pic is Morris Yardley and to his left is Raymond Goody, on Ray's left is John Caddick (I think). Without your list of names I would struggle to recall more than 5 or 6 of my former classmates. I clearly remember the 3A1 form teacher: Mr Ellis: he spoke with a bit of a stammer and always wore a green corduroy jacket with leather elbow patches.
3A1 was my first class at Alderlea as a few of us were exiled from Lea Village; consequently we were considered as outsiders by some and it took a while to assimilate.
Thanks for posting - it brought back memories.

Gwladmab

« Reply #1193 on: September 02, 2022, 07:22:36 PM »

I do remember some of the names from above. Robert Milne if memory serves me well, went off to Saltley Grammer and also had a trial at a County Cricket Club, in fact quite a few boys from Alderlea went off to Saltley to continue their education.

AndyMartin

« Reply #1194 on: January 30, 2023, 09:27:33 AM »
Hi everyone have just joined the forum but have been following the site for a few years decided to join having read the posts of wedgie  jeftee and John Dee all of whom I remember from my time at Alderlea. I was there as a pupil from 1964 - 1969 and worked at the school from late 1970 -1978 as the workshop technician with Alan Graham Stan Bottley Chris Thomason Vic Allen  John Merrill  when I left and moved to Devon my name is Richard Hirst better Known as Dick have many memories of classmates and staff . Played football and cricket for the school as did JohnDee and jeftee was house captain for Lancaster during 1969 we were champion house that year but I didn't get to lift the trophy at assembly because I wagged the day off to go fishing with Pete French and Andy Young :-[ and we never caught anything either. Would love to hear of anyone that remembers me still  intouch with Pete Colin and Steve Bateman met my wife at the school valentines dance she went to Longmeadow girls we met in 1969 got married in 1973 at all saints church shard end  and we are still together don't know if that was just bad luck ;D however please keep posting and putting on photos hope someone responds Thank You All.

HI Dick
Remember me, Andrew martin?

davesd1

« Reply #1195 on: February 16, 2023, 11:05:08 AM »
Just looked in on the Shard End topic, and noticed Townie had opened it ten years ago today with the first post.
Good to see people keeping it going with their memories. The three years have gone quickly since his passing, a man Shard End through and through.     

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #1196 on: February 16, 2023, 12:08:48 PM »
I new him when he moved to Tamworth ,good poster sadly missed
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

lmr3103

« Reply #1197 on: February 17, 2023, 06:52:27 PM »
I often read the old posts about old Brum pubs etc and Townie seemed very knowledgeable and a very interesting poster indeed.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #1198 on: February 17, 2023, 07:48:15 PM »
Imr, HE was into Pinball machines. And working for an Amusement machine manufacturer her in Ramsgate we used to take old machines to a warehouse in Burton on Trent.I told him about this and he visited them and bought a couple of machines off them. He wanted to build one of those roundabouts with horses and asked me if knew any engineer's who would help him do it. But living down here I had lost contact with most of them.REally nice chap.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy