Author Topic: 60s Motorcycle dealers  (Read 83737 times)

DBD34

Re: 60s Motorcycle dealers
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 10:12:03 PM »
Hi Frederick -- Please tell us more, is that a Morris Oxford?? not a good photo so difficult to tell but l'm sure that theres a good story here, please don't leave it there because my mind is boggling,

Breconeer

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 09:29:33 AM »
I was at school with Alan Vale (connected Vale Onslow Sparkbrook family I believe) at Moseley Secondary Mixed (as it was then). A fairly slight chap with darkrimmed glasses. 1964-66

frederick

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 11:18:41 AM »
DBD34,
What would you like to know, here is a photo of the one that worked at the BSA and had the work done on the engine and manifold and did most of the work putting it back together. He is the one on the right.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

frederick

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 11:20:41 AM »
DBD34,
You are right it was a Morris Oxford another photo of it.

[email protected]

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 04:14:06 PM »
what about County cycles Broad street I bought my BSA's there / Shooting star my favourite  500 single Gold star   even my 1st Bantam

bobbyblue

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 07:12:15 PM »
Another motorbike dealer worthy of mention was C&D Autos on Warwick Road in Acocks Green.  I remember drooling over the machines he had for sale but being young and skint I could only dream of owning one.  I believe the business was owned and run by two brothers, their names escape me now, but their knowledge was incredible, they seemed to know everything about almost any bike.  When they stopped selling used bikes to concentrate on selling BSA spares, they had a showroom full of restored British bikes all marked as not for sale, I wonder what happened to them all, they would be worth a fair bit nowadays.  Dealers like this are a rare beast these days, those were good times.
Bobbyblue

cocacolakid

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 10:48:05 AM »
Another motorbike dealer worthy of mention was C&D Autos on Warwick Road in Acocks Green.  I remember drooling over the machines he had for sale but being young and skint I could only dream of owning one.  I believe the business was owned and run by two brothers, their names escape me now, but their knowledge was incredible, they seemed to know everything about almost any bike.  When they stopped selling used bikes to concentrate on selling BSA spares, they had a showroom full of restored British bikes all marked as not for sale, I wonder what happened to them all, they would be worth a fair bit nowadays.  Dealers like this are a rare beast these days, those were good times.
BB..
I have already mentioned C&D Autos, saying that I traded my Ariel Arrow in for a BSA  C15. Hoped there may have been a picture of the place, but nothing turned up yet.
                                                                                                                                  Malc. 

Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

cocacolakid

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 11:00:04 AM »
Hi Colin..
Thanks again for your interesting topic. You mention memories of Mallory Park in the 60s. That is another subject, and another one that we have in common. I will not dwell on it on this thread, but will start another thread in the near future. I have some memories and photos, (need to find them first) to put on the forum, I think some of them will interest you, and I hope, others.
                                                                                                                                      Malc.

cocacolakid

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 11:18:26 AM »
Two more motorcycle dealer showrooms I used to go to before the area was redevoloped, were on the Aston Rd, nr city centre, (continuation of Corporation St) They were opposite each other, one on the corner of Allesley St, the other on the opposite side of the road, on the corner of Dartmouth St. For the life of me, I can't remember the names of these two dealers.  Does anyone remember the names of these two, and are there any photo's availible?
                                                                                                                          Malc.

DBD34

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 09:50:01 PM »
Hi Frederick -- Thanks for the pics, wouldn't have thought the tuning you describe would have been possible on a 50s Morris Oxford but without tech spec how do l know?. The incredulous bit is the Goldie silencer!!, got to know how that worked.

SavageGeorge -- County Motorcycles of course. The BSA 500 twin was superb, much smoother and civilized than the 650 [Though the Golden Flash was nice,better than the Rocket]. You claim to have owned a 500 Gold Star, that would put you amongst the elite, you must have been quite wealthy too.

Malc -- Were the dealers on Aston Rd North, Aston Autos and Red House M/cs.
Apparently C&D Autos are still trading in Ullenhall, Nr Redditch supplying BSA parts, thats all l know about them now.
If you start a thread on Mallory Park l'll watch out for it with interest, wasn't a regular but l was there on Easter weekend 1967 when Fritz Scheidegger was killed at the hairpin when the brake pedal broke on his outfit, horrible day altogether. had some good days there though & easy circuit to get to.  pete.

frederick

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 10:07:43 PM »
DBD34,
With the gold star silencer, I think the car had two silencers on it the back one as taken off and the Goldy one replaced it we had it sticking out under the back door on the side of the car that was the boy racer thing then, at that time to tune up engines it was higher the compresson double springs on the valves port opened up and polished and the same with the manifold and with doing that I am sure the BHP went up and we had the cearful eye of the toolmaker toolmakers that worked on it   O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy